Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWTON RESERVOIR REPORT
WENT UP TO NEWTON YESTERDAY TO CHECK IT OUT AND SAW IT WAS 99% ICE FREE I WENT HOME GOT THE BOAT ON THE WATER AND CAUGHT 2 20 INCH MUSKIES IN AN HOURS TIME JUST TROLLING WITH A SLASH BAIT WATER TEMP WAS A BALMY 41 DEGREES WITH THE WIND BLOWING TODAY IT SHOULD ALL BE OFF NOW. I WAS ABLE TO TROLL THRU THE REMAINING ICE WITH NO PROBLEMS I CAUGHT THE MUSKIES NEXT TO THE DAM IN 25 FEET OF WATER

BBH
[signature]
This report/udate is greatly appreciated. I am not much of a tiger musky fisherman, so I would like to ask you how hard they fight in the 41 degree water?
[signature]
NOT NEARLY LIKE THEY DO IN WARM WATER ALTHOUGH ITS STILL A FIGHT TO GET THEM NEAR THE BOAT I LANDED THE FIRST ONE IN 10 MINUTES AND IMMEDIATELY LET HIM SWIM AFTER UNHOOKING HIM THE SECOND ONE HIT AND I PULLED HIM OFF THE BOTTOM AFTER 20 MINUTES BARGAINING WITH HIM
[signature]
I am very impressed. One twice as long would give you the fight of your life. Keep looking for them, you never know when a lunker might suprise you. I have heard stories from around the Minnesota area of big pike and musky hitting musk-rat spinners with lightning speed, and they say the fight is even more drammatic.

Say, I may head up to Newton one of these days. What would you recommend as far as lures/technique, and general "hang-out areas" for the tigers?
[signature]
Newton is still on my 'to do' list. Thanks for the update and congrats on the muskies. See anybody else out there or were you the first to hit the soft water?
[signature]
Welcome to the site Bigbullhunter and thanks for posting your report. What a great way to start the boating season with two tigers[Wink]. WH2
[signature]
Newton is great for numbers although size is a problem. My guess is this year you may get a 36" if your very lucky. Go to Pineview if you want a monster. They have not been in thee long enough since the lake went dry years ago. I had a few days up there last year catching 15 plus a day. If you want to catch them with the most fight in them go late may and june before the water gets to warm. One thing I will say about the tigers up there is they are acrobats and fly out of the water when hooked. For some reason are another they are showman compared to pineview tigers. Good lures are 3 to four inch minnow imitating baits that wiggle alot. The whole west side and the bay at the back of the lake is your best bet early summer. Bring bass gear and flipping can be great for largies also. Lots of panfish to be had also... Be prepared for lots of waves due to how small the lake is and the ski boats also.... Also if you wanna try for bass on a fly rod this lake can not be beat. Arm yourself with a tube or pontoon and fly rod with poppers or my favorite a yellow spider and cast into open pockets with a few twitches. It can be a blast Smile Figure this lake out and its got it all I have found....
[signature]
where is the boat ramp? Is there a launch fee? I searched and found nothing.
[signature]
Great to here all the ice is gone!!! [#ffffff][size 1]cclaeys [/size][/#ffffff]No fees at Newton !!M.H.
[signature]
I WAS FORTUNATELY THE FIRST ONE ON THE SOFT WATER AND IT FELT GOOD. FOR LURES TRY JOINTED RAPALAS SLASH BAITS ANY THING THAT WILL DIVE OR SUSPEND. TRY TROLLING ON THE WEST END AS ITS GOT A LOT OF FISH HANGING ON THE BOTTOM I WILL BE HEADING OUT AGAIN IN THE MORNING TO GIVE IT A GO AGAIN

BBH
[signature]
First off, welcome to the board and thanks for the report. I have never fished Newton before but it is on my list of lakes to hit up this year. I have a few questions for you though. What was the water level like? High/low? Is there a dock? Reason I ask about the dock is because I was going to go to Willard on Saturday to just put the boat in so I could replace the "bunks" on the bottom of my trailor, but since Newton is open, maybe I will put the boat in, replace the "bunks" then fish it for a few hours. If there is no dock, is there a place I can "beach" my boat for a few so I can do my maintenance? Also, what is in Newton? Muskie, Largemouth, Perch, Rainbows, anything else? Crappie? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and welcome to the board!!!
TS
[signature]
I agree about the size range, however I know of two different guys catching tigers over the forty inch mark last summer. One of them was a relative of a friend who is about as lucky as they get so I believe him. There are a lot in there, we usually end up catching a few when we go out and we aren't targeting them. The biggest we boated was around 36 inches.
[signature]
there isnt a dock yet at newton but there are plenty of spots to beach your boat and do your maintenance. water level is 2/3 full muskie lm bass perch trout crappie bluegill catfish are in newton hope that helps ya
[signature]