Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"No Licenses Required"
Did anyone read the article in the Preston Citizen today about Twin Lakes. Condie and Winder reservoirs!

Quote, "For 2008, Twin Lakes Canal Company will be stocking fish in Twin Lakes, Condie and Winder reservoirs. Fish will not be stocked by Idaho Fish and Game this year. So, Idaho Fishing licenses will not be required by the public to fish on these reservoirs."

Could this story have been written by the same one that wrote the great Aprils Fools joke about Snoop Dog joining the LDS Church?

No, It's true the story is there so what's everyone's take on this move?
[signature]
Sounds to me like the canal company maybe tried to close these resevoirs to fishing like rumor had it but, because of the public monies put in the fishery, they were advised that as long as F&G was putting money into them they couldnt touch it, so they decided to start putting their own money into it so down the road they could either close them or increase fees to fish there so when the fees got high enough people would just stop coming.

Before everyone gets in an uproar, maybe someone should contact fish and game and see what their take is on this. I would, but im in Texas and can make the call.

Also, what happens if some one fishing without a license gets stopped on highway with fish, how do you prove they are from one of these areas? Seems kinda fishy to me [Tongue]

I just have a hard time thinking that the canal company would invest in that kind of money to put in the resevoirs with what little money they actually get back without a longer term deal in the works.

Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
I think it's safe to assume that Twin Lakes Canal Company is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts!! They're a business with 250 share holders who's main concern is their bottom line profits. I would guess daily access to Twin lakes will go up, and a new use fee for Condie and Winder, or they are doing this to "improve" their public image and make themselves look good to the public in hopes to gain support for their proposed damn on Oneida narrows?
[signature]
I am very interested in hearing more about this situation. I am a huge fan of Twin Lakes an Condie. Does this mean that the Fish and Game will no longer regulate the lakes, size restrictions etc...? Last year the Bass were just coming back in Condie as far as size goes and the bluegill fishing was awesome. Up until we hear more on this everthing will just be speculation so we should not over react.

Windriver
[signature]
I totally agree windriver, no over reaction, but just speculation knowing how they are wanting to get the new dam in Bear River Narrows, but if they improve the lands they manage it may be worth it. The over night camping for what they have now is outlandish, but the daily fee isnt too bad. We'll all have to wait n see what they do, but you also have a good point, what will happen with the F&G regulations if this becomes a private put n take operation. Same here as with Condie on bass and the crappie fishery, it was getting awesome last year.

Time will tell and it's getting close[sly]
[signature]
I should of added the rest of the article. The rest of the article goes on and states that there will be a 2 trout 2 bass limit with no limit on warm water species. No charge for Condie and Winder and 5 bucks for a day and 10 for overnite at Twin.

I also wonder how the fish and game will know if someone is caugt with fish and no license. When I was a kid in Wyo. I ran a fish pond in the summer and all the fish that were caught and kept had to have a receipt from me saying the fish were caught in my pond. Wonder what Idaho will require of them. It will take a lot of manhours manning the ponds to hand out receipts[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Sorry- my view is if you do not support the dam do not fish those lakes. Problem with many of us are we bitch and moan about this or that and then when the time comes we don't step up to the plate and make a stand. I like Twin , Winder and Condie and I'm not going to fish them. There are numerous other lakes or creeks I can fish.
[signature]
I agree Packfish! If you enjoy Oneida Narrows Canyon and realize it's basically the last stretch of the Bear River with EASY OPEN ACCESS to the public then it's time to make a stand against Twin Lakes Canal company who's main and only true interest is their bottom line! That may sound harsh to some, but they are a business and their business interests will come first well before any sportsman's interests. The fact, that they're even proposing the ridiculous Oneida dam supports these claims 100%. And for the record, you better believe it, I'm biased! I don't want to see me, and the rest of the public lose the narrows for the better good(greed) of a company who is just out to make more money! And when you hear someone supporting the dam chances are they're a shareholder, and stand to make some cash of the deal plain and simple!
[signature]
Okay, here’s the scoop I got. Last night we had our monthly fly club meeting. Presenting at the gathering was Dave Tuscher from IDF&G. The subject came up of Twin and Condie and in a nutshell here are the points he discussed. This spring Twin Lakes Irrigation Company contacted F&G and requested that they not stock either Twin or Condie. The company indicated that they intend to stock the waters themselves and privatize the fishing. The article came out in the paper about no license and what the limits would be according what the company would like to do.
Dave explained that at this time IDF&G is taking the position of: 1) state attorneys are busy taking a look at the legality of the company moving forward. There is some doubt that they can privatize the fishery without holding title to the entire properties surrounding the waters. He said that land around Condie does not belong to the company. On the other hand, the majority of the property around Twin Lakes does belong to the company. 2) Until more of this is sorted out, the department is suggesting that the public not fish there without a license. 3) The fish that were going to be stocked this spring at those two reservoirs are now planned to be put elsewhere, Treasureton was mentioned.
He also said that there will be lots more information coming out soon in the newspapers concerning the state's findings and their position.
[signature]
Let me reply to my own post, because I left out another important item (#4) that was explained in the meeting last evening. 4) In order for anyone to stock fish, they first have to have a permit. This permit allows entities to put fish in private ponds. Dave explained that IDF&G is the permitting agency and at this point no one from the canal company has submitted for the permit.

Now my two cents: Stocking fish is an expensive endeavor. The last figures I remember seeing, IDF&G spends several dollars per pound every year. I really doubt the canal company is seriously intending on doing it. I have a couple of reasons for thinking this way. First, I have to remember what the “bottom line” is for Twin Lakes Canal Company. Some people make the mistake of thinking that the goal of any canal company is money. While it certainly is an important factor, the sole purpose of the company is to provide agricultural irrigation water. None of these companies want to operate in the red, and sure, they are going to be looking for ways to provide income in order to operate, but their first priority is season-long water. All other considerations are secondary to the best interest of the irrigators. For fisherman, I know it smarts a little to hear that kind of talk. With that in mind, it leads me to the second point I’d like to make, and the answer to this obvious question: What reasons would the company have to make such a move? I think it boils down to shareholders in the canal company are beginning to think that their best interest, managing and delivery of water, is being confronted with other interests. And some of these other interests are suggesting aggressive quality controls that end up being tremendously expensive. I see the company’s response as a way the canal company can flex it’s muscle a little as they try to maintain their sovereignty and control of their own ends.
[signature]
I think your exactly right on land owndership, I for one know for a fact that the BLM has a 40 acre tract of land just east of the main boat ramp and F&G has an special use agreement with BLM on it for a sportsmans access. As I remember this, it is a no charge permit and allows sportsmans access to the resevoir, so another avenue to proch this subject would be for people to contact the BLM office in Pocatello and see if they can force the issue some what with either/or F&G and the canal company. I dont know the other land owners, but, if they can keep people off their property with the help of the canal company, they would probably support it.

I dont know, but maybe navigable waters applies here? I think it is only on streams, but maybe hope it can apply also.

It will be interesting to say the least on this whole issue. I dont think F&G is going to loose some of their better warm water fisheries in east Idaho, let alone the kind of family friendly fishery they have. Also, maybe the bass groups that use the water can help with or provide support from some national groups to support F&G on the venture?

Keep on fishing and make a point.
[signature]
Here is what I found out on the Fish and Game site about private ponds

What is a Private Fish Pond?
A pond is defined as private only if it is entirely surrounded by private land and is not located on a natural stream channel. Stocking or maintaining fish in such a pond requires a Private Pond Permit. Any lake, pond, or reservoir with legal access to the public is considered a public water body. The Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) manages the fisheries on public waters.
[signature]