Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A silly ??
Where do Mt. Goats winter? I just thought of this and have absolutely no idea what areas of the mountains they winter on.
[signature]
On the cliffs! Those little buggers can find food about anywhere!
[signature]
I have only seen them up high in the mountains, if they are like Desert Bighorns they always stay up high in the mountains. My thought also what would they forage on with the cold.
[signature]
[black][size 3]During the winter the Mt. Goat stays at or just above tree line on the steepest part of the mountain. For protection, they never venture too far from the craggy cliffs that are wind swept of snow. In the spring and summer, they will come down a little in elevation to bulk up on the greenery found in the higher alpine meadows.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]They are both grazers and browsers eating grasses, shrubs, hemlock, mosses, lichens and woody plants found in those areas. [/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I just started thinking i had never seen a mt. goat wintering in my life. I figured they would come down with the deer or elk but it makes sense that they would stay up high. That's gotta be a rough winter.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040][Tongue]You never seen them wintering because they are white..so they blend in right with the snow![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[Tongue]Smart a$$. LOL
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Yessir!! Can ya tell work is boring?[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Sorry for the un-timely reply...

DWR Event:

See Rocky Mountain goats April 12

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/08-03/mountain_goats.php"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/08-03/mountain_goats.php[/url]

The event will be held at the Park-and-Ride lot at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon in Salt Lake County. DWR biologists will be at the lot from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
[signature]