Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Report 4-12
Hit Willard today. South Marina is gated and there is only about 1-2 feet of water in the launch area. Doubt it will open this year. Lots of people fishing the south inlet with no luck (that we saw). North Marina is launchable for normal sized boats with sonar. Others returning to the north marina caught nothing. Boated near the light pole area and saw a few wipers roll the surface near dark. Friend caught one really nice 20in wiper on a shad style swimbait. Nothing else happened. I think we wasted to much time trolling in shallow water. We were pinging some fish on the finder but I think the boat was scaring them. The deepest water we measured was 12ft. We should have been using planer boards or the electric motor.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Thanks for your report Mile-nine,

You didn't happen to notice the watter temperature did you?
[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]And welcome to the BFT Utah message board. Detailed reports like yours are always welcome.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
The highest I saw the temperature at was 52 and the lowest was 48. We did ping quite a few fish while cruising around that were about mid depth. I am pretty new to Wiper fishing. Once it warms up and gets better is it just as easy to cruise along the dike and fish from shore? Or do the boaters always have an advantage? I would rather not have to hassle with the boat every time. It took my 4.5 hp engine a long time to get across to the light pole!
[signature]
Thanks for posting that report Milenine, glad to see you found the main board and welcome to BFT Utah.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Thanks Milenine, 55 degrees is the magic number I like to watch for to start wiper fishing. So, that is just around the corner.

To answer your question about bank fishing Willard vs boating it, I think that boating it is always a better way to catch more fish. Those wipers do a lot of migrating and boat fishing allows you to find them much easier.
[signature]
My father inlaw is a water master for the canals in weber county, and he heard that there may not be much water let in to willard this year. Thats pretty upsetting since we have had so much moisture this year.
[signature]