Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TUBE DUDE'S REPORT
[cool]It was a busy week and I decided to heck with it. I went fishing this morning on Saguaro Lake, northeast of Phoenix. The weather has been decent and temperatures warming, so I figured the fishing would be good.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1641601.jpg]

The sunrise over "4 Peaks" was a nice beginning.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1651732.jpg]

Launched at 6 AM. Breezes light, no boat traffic on the lake...YET. (By 9 AM the launch area was closed to further boat trailer parking, and when I went by the waiting area just after noon, there wes a full lot in the waiting area)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1661710.jpg]

Got worried when I looked up on the rocks above me and saw a gathering of vultures. Checked my pulse and I was still alive. Actually, they often perch in the early morning sun and spread their wings to soak up some warmth.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1688263.jpg]

Just after I located my first real school of active fish, a group of swimmers dropped a marker buoy right on top of them and began swimming laps around the area I had been fishing. The blips disappeared from my sonar screen.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1694211.jpg]

The swimmers finally got tired and left. Then, just as the fish were returning, the power squadron came into my cove. Out of all the water in the lake, they had to both anchor right on top of my spot, without any consideration for the fact that I was in place. If I had not moved, I would have had an anchor down my waders.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1706891.jpg]

In spite of all the 'HELP', I did hang a few nice plump yellow bass. I probably caught around 40 to 50...keeping a few for my scampi recipe. I also caught some aggressive little bluegills that had to work to get the big mouthful of baitbug and fishmeat in their small mouths.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1715155.jpg]

As soon as I hit the beach, I was mobbed by rugrats. Gave away a few of my smaller fish to get them to get outta the way so I could get my gear back to the vehicle. The kid with the red hair and the red shirt tried to talk me out of a couple of my jigs. Danged if it didn't work. Hope he caught something.
[signature]
hey TubeDude,

Thank you for the jigs and the plastics, I dont know what all was in there because chris got to it first[:/], so I dont know what all was in there, but I like the jigs and the spinners and thanks alot for all of the jig heads[Smile]

Big and small kill em all

Aaron
[signature]
[cool] Great looking trip Tube Dude - the sunrise picture is the best but the yellow bass looks pretty tasty. Too bad the swimmers and power fleet messed up a couple of the spots. It looks like you successfully overcame them though!
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Beautiful picture! I became curious about your lake Saguaro and found an article about it on (I believe) worldisround.com/articles/10174/, which as a whole bunch of picture of the lake. I had no idea how big it was and I'm sure you've got to know your spots to consistantly catch fish there.

I only say this because, just finding fish consistatly in big waters is not THAT easy. ha ha.

Nice day good for you. Swimmers?! Although illegal we have these explosives that were/are used to scare away sealions. Light them, throw them in the water and..... they become a little depth charges with their concusion.

Could you see what the people in the boats were doing there anchoring so close to you? Wink, Wink, hint, hint! If nothing else they might feel unconfortable if they thought their every move was being watched thru binoculars with you only being 10 yards away! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Three replies in one...what fun!

AARON: You're welcome. I hope you make good use of the goodies and maybe learn some new techniques. Feel free to ask if you need clarification.

MR BEAR: Glad you liked the sunrise. I love sunrises and sunsets. In Arizona we get a lot of dandies, and people who get up late miss a lot of beauty. I have shot a lot of slides over the years and I put on desert slide shows for the winter visitors down here (snow birds). The last reel is all just run to music, no narration, and has lightning shots, cloud pictures, rainbows and sunsets. Some of the more spectacular are "Shock and Awe". And yes, the yellow bass are tasty. They are like small wipers on steroids. They fight well and give up nice little fillets...perfect for cooking almost any old way you prefer them.

JR: There you go again. So much practical advice from such a wise old man. I had considered explosives for the swimmers, but that would run me afoul of several governmental agencies. And, in these times of heightened concern for terrorism, I would rather be fishing than sharing a cell with cab drivers and convenience store employees.

The boats. You think they care about anybody spying on them. Their whole purpose in life is to be seen. That's why they come roaring past the no wake buoys wide open, look for the solitary float tube fisherman and make a couple of loops around him to get his attention and then snuggle up next to him so he can get a good look...up close and personal. Not only do they not care about people seeing their "private moments", there is a high incidence of boaters conducting these activities in full daylight...from the most visible part of the boat. Only thing I can think of is to do a reverse PETA thing on them...hit their naked bodies with paint-filled balloons...only after getting a good look of course.

Yes, Saguaro Lake is a good sized lake. But there are only two places where you can access it in a vehicle...the main marina and Butcher Jones Beach...where I launch my tube. Without a boat, there is little of the lake you can fish. The serious bassers hereabouts have a lot of shoreline they can work without having to deal with dimbulb shorecasters. But, they do have to know how to surf. The steady procession of water skiers, personal watercraft and the pictured cruisers maintain a constant barrage of heavy bow wakes. After spending a day standing and fishing on the pitching deck of a bass boat you can't walk a straight line after you trailer your boat.

Saguaro Lake is a "GOOD NEWS - BAD NEWS" pond. It has a lot of fish and the Salt River Project (water and power company) maintains it at a fairly constant level (even in these drought years). But, it gets hammered most of the year by crazies who compete to see who can drink the most beer, throw up the biggest wake, come closest to fishing boats and float tubers and run their boats wide open within the no-wake zones without getting caught by the rangers. In short, it's no different than most other lakes.

The Butcher Jones Beach area is ideal for float tubing. It has a large area of sandy beach for the swimmers (which show up by the hundreds by mid morning) and that beach is a good launching site for tubing. It is a bit tricky working your way back in after being out since before the swimmers showed up though. I get there right after the gate opens at daybreak, and have my choice of parking spots. An hour later, I would have to park a hundred yards farther from the water.

Through use of sonar, a lot of time on the water and some specialized lures and techniques, I almost always can count on catching fish. Even in the nastiest crowd conditions of early summer, I have had days where I have taken over two hundred fish...including specimens from up to seven different species. I have taken both bass and catfish over ten pounds from this area, walleyes to 5 pounds, lots of big bluegills, 2 pound crappies, smallmouth bass, and of course the plentiful and cooperative yellow bass. There are two or three other species of sunfish, plus carp, buffalo fish, tilapia and some other less common ones. It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

By the way, yesterday was the first trip in a long time I went fishing without Tube Babe. She is still out of town doing her impressions of sister, mother and grandma. I will undoubtedly have to make another trip next Saturday, so she can give me another demo on how to catch the big cats.
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

I'm much happier to be a little froggy in a small pond on my ahem.. lily pad rather than puff myself up to look like the biggest, baddest bullfrog in a lake.

I'm supprised you found such good spots with so little access. There are, as you well know, some big lakes whose fish population is concentrated in less than 0.05% of the lake!

What's your favorite local pond or tubable lake you could pretty much cover in a two day trip?

Oh ya, I wonder how those guys would feel about being video taped with their vessel numbers when they pull those stunts and you having a talkabout tuned to channel ? i.e. whatever the local rangers use?

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey Ron, what a lot of people do not realize is that while Arizona is a desert state, there are a lot of lakes, big and small. We have to put a dam on every trickle to conserve water for the dry times...most of the time. We get a few winter storms each year and some "monsoon" storms in the summer. They dump a lot of water in a hurry, so if we don't dam it, it runs off and we lose it forever...dammit.

What that means is that there are a lot of spots for fishing (and the power squadrons). A map of the greater Phoenix area will show several reservoirs within one to two hours drive. If you stretch it to three hours, you have everything from trout lakes in the high country to some of the best bassin' and catfish ponds in the country.

Some of my favorites are Lake Pleasant, damming the Agua Fria River, northwest of Phoenix (1 hour). In addition to big largies, it kicks out a lot of hefty white bass and in recent times some stripers. The dam was raised a few years ago and they pump water in from Lake Havasu (Colorado River) across the desert. This has introduced stripers to the lake and they are approaching 30 pounds now. There used to be good fishing for crappies and sunfish, but the rapid water fluctuations, when the lake is being drawn down for irrigating cotton, leaves their nests high and dry in the spring and the numbers have dropped off. It has also affected the bass.

On the Verde River are Horseshoe Lake and Bartlett Lake. Horseshoe used to be my favorite tubing lake. Rough road getting in and no motors allowed kept the "rifraff" off the water. It was fantastic for big crappies, largemouth, smallmouth and flathead cats to 60 pounds. They flushed (emptied) it three years ago after the minimum pool dropped to the point it would not sustain the fish in it...during the drought. Now they are not letting it fill anymore, because of a stupid bird that nests in the brush that has grown up in the dry river channel. And they have adopted a plan to maintain the lake in the future for "native species only"...no more gamefish...just the native chubs and suckers...that aren't worth catching and you couldn't keep anyway.

Bartlett Lake below Horseshoe is a great lake for lots of smaller largemouths (2-3 pounds) and quantities of crappies. It also is a great lake to night fish for big flathead cats. Much of the year you take your life in your hands to try to tube it. Wall to wall PWC and skiers, with no protected areas. You gotta have more guts than brains.

On the Salt River, there is a string of 4 lakes, beginning with Roosevelt. It is the largest, but was down to 11% capacity before our early spring rains, and is only at 23% at present. Fantastic fishery for largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, BIG crappies and catfish...including flatheads over 60. There are also several species of bluegill and other sunfish.

The next lake down the chain is Apache. Without a doubt, one of the best western waters for smallmouths. Also some good largies, yellow bass, walleyes, resident trout (deep cold water) and the ubiquitous catfish. Like the other lakes below Roosevelt, it is in a canyon and is only accessible in a couple of spots by road...but miles of productive shoreline for boaters. It is also reached only by unpaved road, with some steep grades, so it keeps a lot of the crazies off the lake.

Canyon Lake is the second lake up from Phoenix, and gets a ton of boat traffic. But, there are some protected areas that are great for tubing. Good bass, yellow bass, walleye, sunfish, crappies and catfish. There have been several largies over 15 pounds out of Canyon.

Saguaro Lake is the lowest on the chain, and is maintained at a fairly constent water level, even in the drought years. It is only a little over a half hour from my door, and usually has good fish within the large cove I fish. But, as I have posted above, the esoterics are often compromised by idiot boaters who feel that the bigger the boat the less they have to be concerned with laws and sportsmanship. When verbally challenged, their standard reply usually includes the Hawaiian good luck sign...also known as California's most often used driving signal.

The rangers DO patrol the lake and they do write a lot of tickets for violations. But, on busy weekends, much of their attention is devoted to making sure that all the drunks keep going the right direction in the prescribed circle around the lake. They have to cleanup a fair number of "get-togethers". They can't be worried about the emotional stress of a couple of harrassed float tubers. However, to their credit, they did nail a couple of PWC operators a few weeks ago that were deliberately running circles around a guy and his kid in a small fishing boat...well within the "no wake" zone. Had them on the ranger boat for quite awhile, with their PWC tied off on the floating docks nearby. I'm betting they bought something they couldn't take home and eat. Did my old heart good.
[signature]
[sly]beautiful pics TubeDude.... almost makes me wanna drive over there and give it a shot... at those yellow bass? in the pics.. is that the same as striper? just wonderin'...
[signature]
[cool]Hi, Minh. The yellow bass are small cousins of the striper and very close to white bass. It is the smallest member of the family, rarely getting much over a pound, but a lot of fun on light tackle and very good eating.

A lot of the locals over here, some not too sharp on fish identity, do call these yellow bass "stripies".

I always take my ultralight six footer with a microlite reel and 4 pound line. I actually spend most of my time fishing for yellow bass, because they are so plentiful and so much fun. Those darned largemouth, walleyes and big catfish often spoil my fun by jumping on the little jigs I use. Then I have to spend a lot of time messing with them before I can get back to the yellows. The catfish, often over 5 pounds, can tow me around for awhile.
[signature]
[laugh]LOL... you must be as light as a feather in the super fat cat....[laugh][laugh] to have dem water cats towing ya around....

wonder if they have any of them yeller bass over here in california... would like to give them a shot...if not, I have to put down for a trip to your location as a fishing goal. I am sure I can find someone for a guide without twisting arms.

Minh
[signature]
[cool]Ouch, ouch. I feel my arm being twisted.

I don't think there are any yellow bass in California, but there are some super white bass in Lake Nacimiento up north. They get big and the best places to fish for them are in the coves and sheltered areas the boats don't beat up too bad. I don't how the size and population are these days, but I used to catch 50 or more a day, with some well over 3 pounds. They are tough fighters.
[signature]
I have practically no experience fishing in fresh water... couldn't catch a crapie to feed my hunger... maybe catch a catfish or trout... but no experience with catching anything else. I do not know where to begin looking for the white bass... I am just gonna wait til you come out here or me going over there (works either way) to fish.[sly]
[signature]
[cool]How do you describe the taste of salt to someone who has never tasted salt? Actually, casting lures or bait for fresh water fish is not different than for salt water fish. Only different species in water without salt in it.

You are correct in thinking that it is better to be shown something by someone experienced than to try to work it out for yourself, based upon what you have read or heard...second hand. It is much like golf, tennis or any other sport that requires proper instruction and then a lot of practice to perfect it. If you try to do it without any help, you can develop some bad habits that only lead to frustration.

Typing is an even better example. There are a lot of people on the computers these days who have never taken a typing course, but still peck out their emails and responses. Those of us who were forced to sit through those "sissy" fill in classes are happy today that we at least learned the basics, even if we could never win a speed contest.

If you desire to learn more about fresh water fishing, try to cultivate a friendship with someone in your area that is experienced. Then make more friends and keep learning. You will never know it all, but the learning process is the enjoyable part. I have lost count of the fellow fishermen over the years who have been generous with their time and their good advice. I would feel ungrateful if I were not willing or able to pass it along to someone else who thirsts for more knowledge.

I would welcome any opportunity to share our mutual knowledge, both on your waters and on mine.
[signature]
Thanks Dude in a Tube....[shocked][sly] I can't wait for an opportunity to meet with you in person and hopefully soon. you tell me your secrets cause I have none of my own.... LOL. You such a nice guy!!!!![laugh]

Minh
[signature]
[cool]You are too modest. There is much I can learn from someone who catches big squid from a float tube.
[signature]
[laugh]that last comment was worth a couple of loud ha haha's.... alright I gotta couple of ancient chinese secret. Only problem with that is that I am not chinese and hope that it works well for non chinese....lol
[signature]
[cool]The true appreciation of fishing, and fishing friends, transcends all boundaries of race, culture, religion and politics. When one is fishing, all of those other things have no importance.

For example, did I mention that I am from the planet Tubus...in the galaxy of Fishmuch. Would it worry you to know that I have two heads and green skin? I didn't think so. Scared the hell out of my wife on our first blind date though. Took a long time to convince her it wasn't a halloween costume. By that time I had got her a float tube and taught her to fish so she decided to keep me.

By the way, my friend, how was your last checkup? When will you get the okay to play in the water again?
[signature]
If the doc is makin' me go back to the gym,

Iguess I can go back into the water... will try this weekend. Iknew it!!!

you are way too nice to be human!!![laugh]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Yes, I have fished for them there and there's a special bonus! You can fish for them with live minnows which is pretty much taboo in most California lakes.

So there you are bank fishing, with your line thrown out and all you see is a small bobber lazyly moving around and all of a sudden the bobber starts to move, then gains momentum and suddenly sinks like the bouys disappearing in the movie 'Jaws"

Really cool to a california boy that doesn't even use a strike indicator when nymph fishing.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Didn't fool me. I knew who you were. But, unless you log in, the BFT board doesn't recognize you. If you don't see your name when you get ready to post (at the top), you need to log in...by clicking on Home and putting in your name and password.

Good luck with the small stuff. I use almost all light tackle anymore. I have taken some big yellowtail, bonito, barries, calicos and halibut on light spinning gear. Got some nice silver salmon off Santa Barbara one year when everyone else was using heavier gear and couldn't get bit.
[signature]