Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek and Smallies
Hello-
I have really been looking forward to SMB action this spring. Has anyone had any changed luck for the better at Deer Creek over the past few days? I've never fished suspending jerkbaits before, and I've bought a few new ones I'm excited to try out. I just fear it is still too cold for the smallmouth to really start up. Any help, thanks!

Senkonate
[signature]
senkonate, a good way to fish smallies at deer creek is, ( if you want to put the lures away for a minute)cast a simple worm with a bb sinker about 14"to20" from your hook, find some structure,"rocks", cast on to them reel in till it hits the water, then retrieve slowly.They usually hit the worm before it gets three feet from shore![Wink]-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
Hey Nate...

Well, you just never know what the bite is going to be like at Deer Creek until you try. LOL. Actually, there should be some good fish to catch this time of the year on the suspending jerkbait. I haven't been paying much attention to what the weather and everything has been like in Utah, but the pre-spawn period for both largemouth and smallmouth bass is one of my favorite times for suspending jerkbaits.

BTW "senko"nate...those darn senkos got me some money in a tournament yesterday and an 8lb largemouth last month...
[signature]
I heard on warmer days that senkos were doing well in rainbow bay.
[signature]
As Tibzz said try dragging a worm. Heres something I learned last year. Use a floating jig head and a single split shot. Or if you have a sliding line weight that may work even better. Using the float jig head and split shot you never get hung up, get lots of bites, and never know what you are going to get into til you land one. I will be doing my best this year to learn more about the Deer creek samllies. They are a blast to catch.
[signature]
Thanks for the GREAT tips, guys! Good to hear from you Alex! Sounds like you're having a blast.

Senkonate

I'm heading to Deer Creek tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon, and i'll be sure to post a report and water temps.
[signature]