Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Good Day2(report)
Went to the Weber again yesterday above Echo this time. Was worried about going on a Sunday expecting a lot of people. Did find several groups but but once on the river it wasn't bad. Everyone was courteous.

Another great day! Caught more than 2 dozen again! However this time all white fish and no trout. Don't know why.

For SoUtDuck Hntr - Kept 2 big guys for dinner! Also kept a few for my neighbor who enjoys white fish as much as I. LOL Dropped them off on the way home. Released all the others. Had to retrieve some from my golden to release but he's soft mouthed so they were ok. Bud likes to fish too so we share.

I'm going to start another controversy, ok? It is my opinion, such as it is, that the white fish fight every bit as well as brown trout and eat every bit as good as trout in general, so there! That's the main reason I release all my trout for you guys and keep some whites! I expect you trout guys to thank me, ok? LOL
I agree with you on the whitefish fight leaky, I also enjoy eating them. Especially smoked! Ohhh man!
[signature]
You got it right on the whitefish, Leaky. They have got to be the most underrated sportfish around. Just think of it--they're native, they get bigger than most trout, and usually there are more of them. Plus the fightin' and eatin'.

This next bit of info may or may not surprise you. Last summer, the USU research lab I have been working in did a creel survey on the Logan River. The guy who was doing it additionally asked a few opinion questions of folks. One of them was, "What is your opinion of whitefish?" He was surprised to see how many people didn't know anything about them or just considered them trash fish. And this was on the Logan River, which is full of whities! Go figure.

It's nice to see that other folks around appreciate the Prosopium species. Now if I could just get better at catching them...

This reminds me of a funny story. Fishing near the Strawberry Pinnacles once, I caught a whitefish on a spinner. It wasn't a snag either--the fish actually hit it just below the surface. Though it was an 18-inch fish, it still couldn't have got its mouth around that spinner. Sure tasted good...

[cool]
[signature]
yeah I agree, I don't think anyone that has a fish on knows wether its a trout or a whitefish until they get first site of it.-they also taste just like trout to me.-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
quetepuni,

Absolutely no surprise. I'd estimate that 1 in 50 fisherman I've met on the river consider them anything but trash fish that can only be eaten smoked, if at all!!!! Yuh know, that's actually ok. That leaves them for us. Once they are "discovered" then there will be much fewer. By the way, the Weber has a lot! The Provo has a good number also but the purists down there are into the lauded trout!

Leaky
hey leaky,

do us a favor and keep everyone of those guys. have you seen the populations lately. holy moly are they abundant or what. white fish are the best fighting fish in the river hands down. especially on a fly rod. if i had a choice of hopper fishing trout or nymph fishing whitefish i pick the latter.
[signature]