Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPORT FROM ARIZONA
[cool][size 1]It was a busy week and I decided to heck with it. I went fishing this morning on Saguaro Lake, northeast of Phoenix. The weather has been decent and temperatures warming, so I figured the fishing would be good.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1641601.jpg]

The sunrise over "4 Peaks" was a nice beginning.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1651732.jpg]

Launched at 6 AM. Breezes light, no boat traffic on the lake...YET. (By 9 AM the launch area was closed to further boat trailer parking, and when I went by the waiting area just after noon, there wes a full lot in the waiting area)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1661710.jpg]

Got worried when I looked up on the rocks above me and saw a gathering of vultures. Checked my pulse and I was still alive. Actually, they often perch in the early morning sun and spread their wings to soak up some warmth.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1688263.jpg]

Just after I located my first real school of active fish, a group of swimmers dropped a marker buoy right on top of them and began swimming laps around the area I had been fishing. The blips disappeared from my sonar screen.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1694211.jpg]

The swimmers finally got tired and left. Then, just as the fish were returning, the power squadron came into my cove. Out of all the water in the lake, they had to both anchor right on top of my spot, without any consideration for the fact that I was in place. If I had not moved, I would have had an anchor down my waders.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1706891.jpg]

In spite of all the 'HELP', I did hang a few nice plump yellow bass. I probably caught around 40 to 50...keeping a few for my scampi recipe. I also caught some aggressive little bluegills that had to work to get the big mouthful of baitbug and fishmeat in their small mouths.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1715155.jpg]

As soon as I hit the beach, I was mobbed by rugrats. Gave away a few of my smaller fish to get them to get outta the way so I could get my gear back to the vehicle. The kid with the red hair and the red shirt tried to talk me out of a couple of my jigs. Danged if it didn't work. Hope he caught something. [/size]

[size 1]Oh yeah, I didn't bump into any remaining ice chunks in the 70 degree water. Have fun on Strawberry ice-out fellow float tubers. You can come down here to thaw out.[/size]
[signature]
Them boaters!!!! I am surprised that they didnt get the tube dude "CRAZY ACT" when they invaded your territory. Man I wish I didnt have to coach a bunch of high school water polo athletes, so i could just ignore life and come down to AZ. looks way too fun down there!!!!
[signature]
Great pics tubedude, I wish it was warmer here. You know it seems no matter where you go you get inconsiderate boaters. I guess they don't realize how psychotic we can be about invading our territory.I know there have been plenty of times I would like to toss a really large treble hook at water skiers.
[signature]
Count me in TD I am on my way. What all do I need to bring besides poles and a tube :}
[signature]
[cool]You and I both know "two" of the reasons you wanna come visit. Has something to do with the Salt River tube-rafting trips...and the skimpy coverings worn by the coeds to keep from getting sunburned. Your connections down here are a bad influence on you.

I forgot to mention that when the female swimmers exited the waters they put on a pretty good show for the old men lounging on the beach. More than a few pacemakers had to get jumpstarted. Didn't affect me though. I was focused on fishing (snicker snicker). Wonder why I got eye strain.

My bet is that you are already putting in for a substitute coach for a few days and checking cheap air tickets.
[signature]
[cool]Lotsa sunscreen...and eye protection...for the terrible scenery you must endure. Not only the landscape but the skimpy swimwear on the boaters too.
[signature]
I am expecting some extra $$$ in the next couple of weeks, is it still good fishing down there in the first half of June? I know the rest of the activities will be in full bloom, if you know what I mean. I guess a young single guy like me will get in alot of fun trouble. I would love to come down in June. My polo season ends on May 17th. But I am going to get caught up on life here in utah for the rest of May. How much is fishing licenses, and tags or whatever it req. to go fishing down there. How much eye protection do I need to stay focused on fishing, or would a blind fold work. LOL I have been known to dive out of a float tube to chase tail. I am a waterpolo player, i can tread water with out a floatation device for quite a while.

Let me know some good times, and I will try and get some air tickets, plus I am going to talk to my friend that is in Tempe too!!!
[signature]
[cool]Hey, polo, I didn't mean to get you all riled up. Here's a link to the Arizona F&G site (compare to Utah). Surf the options to find the license info. [url "http://www.gf.state.az.us/index.html"]http://www.gf.state.az.us/index.html[/url]

Here's a news flash for ya. I am planning a one week drive and fish trip to Utah about the second week of June. If you are in Arizona then, you will have to deal with the pulchritude all by yourself. Well, you'd be on your own in that department even if I'm here too. TUBE BABE insists I get my fishing license, but she revoked my "hunting" license.

Still have not firmed up plans. I need to remind TUBE BABE of the many "solo" trips I have condoned for her while I kept the home fires (BBQ) burning (One of us needs to be here for my elderly parents.)

Otherwise, the fishing in June will be almost as hot as the weather. My fishing logs show some great trips in June last year. Most of them include notes about getting off the water before becoming parboiled. But, I go tubing "wet" during the summer...without waders...and it is absolutely wonderful until the top of the thermometer pops off.

We can chat by PM to work out some details. If you get too carried away in your enthusiasm we will both get busted off the site.
[signature]
Nice photos and story TubeDude, keep kids fishing!! MAAAAN damn boaters!! I think we've all had a few problems with those ignorant fools. I,ve evan had other anglers in a boat (who of all people should Know better!)come cruising by my spot stiring it up and then decided to drift it, next time maybe my casted lure will be aimed for somebody in a boat !!!-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
Nice report ! i wish my camera worked a little better . I think my film might of been getting old . Pics kinda dark on my report . Took all my photos by myself with tripod and timer . Turned out to be alot of work dragging it along and setting it up every time I cast . Nice scenery down there , love the sunrise , and where is the ice !!!!!! LOL
[signature]
[cool]Glad ya liked the pics and writeup. I have been shooting pics of my fishing since they had stone cameras and rock film (I still have some black and white stuff). Until recently, I still shot both film and transparencies. When I began to learn enough about the computer...and digital pictures...to be dangerous, I finally took the plunge and got a digital camera.

I picked up an Olympus D-550 on sale about three months ago, and let it set around for a month before I set it up and started using it. While it has 3 megapixels (way more than needed for fishing pics) and a bunch of custom features, it is basically a "point and shoot" camera that sets all the shutter speeds and focuses for you. It is small and light and ideal to keep in my fishing vest or a chest pouch while tubing. I can grab it, point and shoot and it does a pretty good job.

If someone is computer smart, it is not difficult to set up your computer to download pictures and size them for sending and posting. The camera requires a little time to get set up the first time and then you just keep good batteries in it. I bought the rechargeable, because digital cameras do eat up batteries. You can save on battery life by buying an external DC adaptor, which lets you download pics to the computer and review or delete pics from the camera without using so much juice.

Anyway, got off the subject. It might be a good thread for someone to start, on photography in the field, and what cameras they prefer..and why. As you can see, it's great to be able to shoot the memorable moments of a trip and then put them in a digital file on your computer. Periodically you can download them to a CD, make slide shows, send them to others, etc. And, you don't have to worry about your film getting old. It's bad enough to have to worry about yourself getting old (that's personal).

Finally, where's the ice? It's in the icemaker on my refriigerator, so I can keep myself in icewater when it gets hot. Don't have much need for an ice auger down here. But, a funny story. Not too long after I moved down here, I put my ice auger out for a yard sale item. Thought I would get a lotta laughs from the "Zonies" (Arizonans). Would you believe that about the second or third person to stop was a guy moving to Utah and he snapped up my auger.
[signature]