Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry 4/18
Fishing was the toughest it has been for me this year. We fished shallow as usual but the water was murky. We moved 4 times looking for clearer water but found none. I'm pretty sure that the lake turned over. Deeper water did have clear but anything under 12-14 feet was murky and we drilled weeds floating under the ice in most holes. Hence the reasoning for the lake turning over. I ended up landing 19 with 1 cutt over the slot. I caught 5 rainbows the biggest going 21 inches. Still plenty of ice but no snow to cool the sleds down. The color white worked best this week.
[signature]
Thanks for the report - we're going to go up tomorrow and hope to put a few on the ice. I'm glad the harddeck is holding up - last year at this time we were breaking through and fishing with wet feet.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry about your poor day. But, I can assure you that the lake has not "turned over". It will not do that until some time after ice-off...when the surface temperature warms enough to create it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]More likely is a winter kill of foilage caused by the extended lack of sunlight due to heavy ice cover. The plants use up all the oxygen and die off, using up even more oxygen as they decompose. In the shallow water that affects the fish and they move back out to deeper water to find layers of water with more oxygen.[/#0000ff]
[signature]