Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpacking Tube
Some of my old donut tubes have gotten old and I am thinking about getting one of the new U-tubes. I like to fish many different kinds of waters. The one thing that I am worried about is packing in my tube to remote waters. I like to fish Grebe Lake in Yellowstone and several other lakes that require a 3 mile or so hike in. Has anyone tried to pack in the Super Fat Cat, ODC 420 etc... If so can you attach shoulder straps? The weight of the tubes does not sound too bad, but then you add in the waders, fins, and gear and it can add up fast.

By the way, you should have seen the looks on the other hikers faces when I packed into the windriver mountains with my tube in my backpack and my fins strapped onto the sides. Everyone kept asking if I was going scuba diving[cool].

Windriver
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lightweight round tubes are by far the best for packing in for any distance. However, many of the open end models are fitted with D rings on the bottom and you can make or buy straps to attach for packing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are really serious, and have a flexible budget, you might want to look at the Outcast Trinity. It is a well made craft, especially designed with light materials for the pack-in contingent.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/boatpagetubes.cfm?boatid=12"]LINK TO TRINITY[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
An Outcast Fish Cat deluxe with inflatable seat and backrest would be a reasonable choice for this. My spare tube is a Wood River Glide Rider and is excellent for this purpose. Unfortunately they are no longer made but if you ever see a used one go for it.

I really don't think you have to limit yourself to a donut style, unless you are one who counts every ounce. The comfort afforded by an open front tube should be worth a little extra effort if the donut is a pound or so lighter.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Thanks for you help. The Super Fat Cat is only 4lbs heavier so I may go that direction. The H3 is is only 10lbs more so if I lost 10lbs...[crazy] In all seriousness that trinity does look pretty sweet.

Windriver
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you go with the SFC, they do sell aftermarket pack straps either through Outcast or their dealers. Not sure what the price is.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are handy with nylon straps and buckles you can make your own fairly easily.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Windriver,

I have a pair of the SFC pack straps. Haven't used them seriously but they do work. As you probably already know, they're designed to carry the tube fully inflated. When doing this the big issue is not necessarily weight but bulk. The thing is very big. Be sure to factor that into your considerations.

z~
[signature]
..dont a lot of the tube manufacturers offer a seperate bag for their tubes that could be use as a backpack so you dont have to pack that tube in inflated??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Very few manufacturers address the backpacking issue. Some provide straps but only a few of the older round tube models ever had anything like an actual bag for backpacking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once had one that I got with a Bucks Bag tube but it was round and designed to fit inside the inner circle of the inflated tube...with the tube inflated...to store waders, fins, etc. on the trek to the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Today, if you want to carry an open ended tube in its collapsed state, you can lay the fins, waders, pump, etc. on the deflated craft and then fold the craft up around the other goodies. Then, you can either stuff it all down a large backpack or simply lash it down to a plain pack frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the proliferation of inexpensive lightweight nylon bags, of all sizes and shapes, it should be a simple matter to find a bag that will hold your craft and accessories and then lash it to a frame.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
the main reason I asked that is that I have seen one or two that offer bags to tote their product around.. it was not until after I posted that I thought of exactly what you said about finding a durable bag of the right size and putting the tube inside of it and then strapping it to a decent backpack frame.. part of my thought was that I am sure you could find a decent used backpack at a flea market or garage sale and at the least use its frame to strap the gear too..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
NFO offers special back packing bags for his boats. Some are part of the deal, others are an added extra
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]At the prices he charges, Dave should throw in a pack mule, llama or a few porters.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Get what you pay for[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]But, when you buy from Dave, you often pay for a lot more than you can use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never a doubt as to his quality, but he does not address the folks who have limited needs, limited expectations and a limited budget.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I would opt for the llamas. Love 'em, even though they spit at you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
put a muzzle on em.. they cant spit then.. [sly]

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some can spit through their teeth. The others just wait until you take the muzzle off and then as soon as you turn your back they bite you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sounds like some of the women I used to date in my much much younger days... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TMI[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where were you dating? In Appalachia? Were their daddies moonshiners. Could they spit through their teeth because they didn't have any?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come to think of it, we had some gal lookin' fer ya on here. Said she thought you mighta knowed her mommy back home. She look familiar?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24610]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]But, when you buy from Dave, you often pay for a lot more than you can use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never a doubt as to his quality, but he does not address the folks who have limited needs, limited expectations and a limited budget.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I would opt for the llamas. Love 'em, even though they spit at you.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Absolutely right! That is why ODC, Skeeter, Outcast, etc are out there[cool]
That is like comparing Sea Ray to Bay Liner. Both look good on the outside and possibly inside, but it is what is underneath that counts.
I have said it before TD, my life means a little to much to me, no cost limit on safety. Comfort is an added bonus.
[signature]
sorry that is a picture of my eldest sister (by blood and not bft adoption)... I thought she had burned that picture.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I know these top ones are Pontoons and not tubes, but gives you an idea on prices.
http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=563

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats...ries.shtml
Keep in mind that all Outcast boats are made in China except the PAC 1100 and larger so note the price on the USA made.
But even some of the newer Outcast Tubes are pretty much the same price as the H3.

http://www.oregonfishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=387

As you might see, Dave's Prices are pretty much in line with competitors equal boats. But NFO, BUCKS, and PAC 1100 and larger are USA made.

But I guess there is nothing wrong with putting rice in that Asian babies mouth, along with some great competition on OIL prices, which means anything plastic right down to pill bottles are going up.

Sorry, be a long day already.
[signature]