Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle (Report)
My buddy and I trolled Jordanelle in his duck boat Saturday morning. We trolled the south side of the Provo R. arm. Got six rainbows between 10 and 14" longlining size 7 Shad Raps (crawdad color). The other few folks we talked to were also catching on Shad Raps. We would have stayed longer and caught more fish but the wind drove us off the lake. We had a nice wet drive back to the ramp. My friend got soaked to the bone--he didn't have a rain jacket and got most of the splash because he was driving. We realized it would have been a better idea to drive around to Rock Cliffs and put in there--it would have been a much easier and drier ride out.

[cool][Tongue]
[signature]
Hey quetepuni, has anyone else been catching a lot of chubs out of Jordanelle? The past couple of times I,ve fished I,ve caught a chub or five. I still haven't caught a chub from strawberry,(the place of new regs because of chubs) so I wonder why I haven't heard about jordanelle's chub problem,(I don't think I'm the only one catching alot of chubs out of jordanelle)[unsure] -TIBBZZ-
[signature]
I haven't fished Jordanelle lately but everytime I've fished there I have caught chubs. Some of them are pretty good sized too.
[signature]
I used to love fishing Jordanelle for trout, but now i go up there and only catch a few perch, maybe a small mouth or 2 and hundreds of chubs. ONe week end up there last year, 3 buddies and myself must have caught 500 chubs in 3 days. I am not complaining about catching fish, but am more concerned that another good fishing resource has gone down hill. Maybe i will have to go up there in teh next few weeks and catch a hundred or so chub for garden fertilizer!!!
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Hey Mike, I talked you over by the restrooms when I was wiping down my boat. What kind of engine is that? Is that one of those special duck marsh boats? I like the color.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Like Mike, I was blown off of Jordanelle about the same time. I was riding(ok bouncing) around taking water temps and checking to new depths or the dried up areas. I have never seen the lake level this low. Water temps ranged from 41 to 48 degrees. Waves and troughs were getting to 6 feet in some areas. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Perhaps everone has noticed the increased size of small mouth in jordanelle. pretty much making it the premier small mouth fishery in the state. one reason. chubs. its not going down hill. just because chubs are abundant. the down hill side are the illegally introduced perch. it wil lbe interesting to see what happens to these small mouth when they have to compete with those little yellow viruses.
[signature]
What type of fishing are you doing to catch chub ? I just might have to go there to keep them perch in check . Any areas good locations to find them perch in ?
[signature]
Tomegun,

That is a duck boat. It belongs to my buddy Tom--the big guy. The motor is specifically for running the marsh, you barely have to put the prop in the water to get it to go. Works good for trolling, too. We don't get around very fast, though.

[cool]
[signature]
Hellsangler69, I've caught chubs trolling for trout on a #9 rainbow rappala, I've also caught them on jigs jiging for smallies, I'm sure you chuck any kind of bait and catch the little sh*ts!!-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
I wish every lake in Utah had chubs. What a great forage fish. They are not too aggressive or predator like campared to Perch which eat there own. They stop growing at an edible size for both trout and bass. They will stay in check if they simply manage the predators. Both Starvation and the Gorge are perfect examples. I personally loved Strawberry just before it was poisoned. I caught more big cutts than any other time. I really think the problem is managing the predators not the chubs(food base). Chubs are a slow moving easy target and can be kept in balance if we would just allow the predators to grow to size before ripping them out. It is all about proper balance. Not eliminating the chubs. That just means no big fish. To be honest I wish they would throw Chubs in a lot more lakes around here.

tightline
[signature]
[cool]Not to dispute your word, Mr. X, but there were several state record size smallies that were caught out of Jordanelle last year...ON SMALL PERCH. I was told by a reliable source (aren't all fishermen) that after having big smallies chase his little perchies to the surface and even chomp on them a couple of times, he began dropping dead (maybe) perch down on a plain large hook and getting bit as soon as the bait neared bottom.

I have heard from several others of seeing smallies herding perch up against the bank, and others who noted the tails of perch protruding from the mouths of lure-caught bass.

The conclusion: Small perch are a major forage species for the smallmouth in Jordanelle and contribute to their size...not detract from it.
[signature]
I have to agree with you tubedude. I fished Jordanelle quite a bit last year. And numerous times I caught bass that had many tiny perch in them. Not once did I catch one with a chub in it or coming out of its mouth. Not to say that they don't munch on chub, I just never encountered it. I can't wait til the water warms and find myself spending many evenings casting soft plastics and topwater. Getting ancy just thinking about it.

Jacob
[signature]
Tightline,

I have to disagree with you on the chubs. They destroy quality trout waters. Chubs compete directly with trout for food. Do you think the DWR would have spent millions treating Strawberry if it had been in balance?. Most trout are very poor predators and although some will get big on chubs, the majority don't surive at all. There is a reason that chubs are on the increase in Strawberry, because the Bear Lake cutt experiment is not working. They were supposed to eat all the chubs. Rainbows feed very little on live fish. Most of their forage is plankton and insects. When the chubs scarf up all the plankton, juvinile trout never survive to get big enough to eat chubs. They are also poor forage in the face of an effective predator. Mackinaw are not the most efficient predators, and they wiped out the Gorge chubs. At Starvation, there has been no chub recruirtment for many years. Most of the chubs in Starvation are 20 to 25 years old and weigh 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. They reproduce every year, but none of the fry recruit to the population. FYI Did you know that Starvation used to be the place for huge rainbows before the chubs took over. The walleye were stocked because there were no other alternatives besides treatment. I love fishing for waldos at Starvation, but it's best to remember our history before we lose any more trophy trout waters in this state. Just my $.02

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I totally agree with "tube". I have to since some of the info. is from me. As far as chub go, I'll reserve my opinion. The detrimental effects on primary trout waters, I can better understand. As to their affect on waters like the Gorge, Jordanelle, Pineview and Powell, etc., I'm not sure. I think the tigers take care of Pineview. I am concerned about the increase of chubs in Jordanell and the Gorge. I may be wishful thinking, but I hope the bass, etc. make use of them, at least the younger ones. The primary bass food forage at the Gorge is crawfish while at Jordanelle it is small fish. I'd like to see some technical input from the DWR on this. How about posting to Tom Pettingill?

[unsure]Leaky
[green][size 2]Enich and others, I have talked to a couple official type guys about the Jordanelle and the Perches'. It is not thought as a bad thing that Perch are in my Smallie haven. The gillnet/electro shocking surveys have shown the Bronzebacks are eating them by the the bunches. I caught many large Smallies that spit up Perch fry. [/size][/green]

[green][size 2] Ok, Jordanelle is not a Trout fishery. Sorry guys this a fact no matter how some wish it were different. The Smallies and Perch rule right now. And, the way it looks it ain't slowing down. Here is why-Jordanelle is not a fertile body of water ie it lacks the nutrients that Strawberry and Scofield produce. Even Deer Creek produces bigger and better Rainbows then Jordanelle. I couldn't tell you why but here is some more information-Jordanelle's forage base are redtail shinners(lots of them), chubs(a decent amount), and the Perch. From what I'm told, the insect population is not as good as some of our older bodies of water. The Rainbow roam at Jordanelle like a Strawberry cutthroat they can't live in the usual places cause there be other critters that are alot tougher(Smallie/Perch/Browns/Walleye) then them. [/size][/green]

[green][size 2] Some day, the Walleye population will take off big time. Maybe when the water levels stablize, we have a real kickass fishery. [/size][/green]
[signature]
Hey tome,

Thanks for the info on jordanelle. though i may have been premature wit the perch comment. i will disagree at least from a angerls point of the rainbows. when the lake hit its high water mark the first year it had decent trout in it. two years later we caught countless 4 and 5 lbs rainbows out of that lake. then one year it collapsed. so perhaps it could have been just one cycle of good rainbows and cant keep a consistant populatoin of large trout but they did exist at one time. i think the biggest question is how many smallies to perch are there now? the reason i suspected a future problem from the perch is their notorious act of overpopulating. i would say that because of chubs and perch that is why the small mouth are so productive and large at this time. here is a question for a expert what is more likelly to be a forage fish for the smallmouth chubs or perch? anyone know? interesting topic regardless of the answeres i have enjoyed catching some of those smallies and hope it lasts .
[signature]
hey i hope those perch were under a inch haha. isnt that the reg state wide?
[signature]
[cool]If I am correct, that regulation applies only on Pineview, where the use of whole perch would constitute an unfair tactic for the pursuit of those big toothy critters. On other waters, where the perch occur naturally, you can use chunks, slabs or the whole "enchilada". Hold the hot sauce.
[signature]
The one inch regulation applies to all the lakes in Utah that have Tiger muskie. I looked it up for Newton and Johnson and it applies there at least. WH2
[signature]
My big argument for chubs over perch. Perch are predators despite there small size they eat any small fish they can get there mouth on. They also seem to overpopulate what ever water they go into in Utah. Chubs on the other hand are not agressive and have all but been eliminated in Starvation and the Gorge naturally! Predators can capitilize on a slow moving target that swims in the open very easily. That makes them easy to control. I do agree that they can compete with the small trout for food but at least they don't eat them like a perch would and Trout are quite the predators despite what people beleive. You just need to let them get to the 5+ pound size before they eat alot of other fish. The largest problem isn't that Utah doesn't have prime trout waters. In fact we have two of the greatest in all the world. Strawberry and the Gorge. The problem is we don't let enough fish grow out to there potential. Infact we hardly even give them a chance to naturally reproduce in most waters. Not because the environment is bad but simply because we pull them out at the same pace they plant them. I can assure you I didn't catch one skinny trout large or small right before they poisoned Strawberry so the chubs weren't stealing all the food. Chubs do not do well where there is not alot of nutrients and plankton in the water so they will never take over the food supply. I do agree it was out of balance but that was simply because we were not allowing anything to get big enough to do something about the Chubs. I am glad to see the DWR has a little forsight this go around. I wish it could have started two years ago before the Cutts #'s had declined so far. I beleive the poisoning was driven more by peoples complaints of only catching chubs and less of it being something we couldn't take care of by regulations and selective harvest over time. The average fisherman in Utah is not a catch and release guy and they are impatient if they can't fill a stringer full of trout. I wish they were more selective harvest and more open minded about other species. That is what I enjoy about the guys on BFT, many of us here fish for more than just trout and we are all here to better the fishery not just fill the freezer. I wish it wasn't the case but the majority rules in politics which in this case rules the DWR. I would love to here Tom's opinion on the matter of Chubs and Perch.

OK. I vented for the week.

Tightline
[signature]