Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass-n-Tubes Los Banos Tournament
Hey Guys...

Just thought I'd make a little report of how the Bass-n-Tubes tournament went yesterday over on Los Banos. 1st place went to Mitch Teman with 8-14; 2nd place went to me, Alex Meine, with 8-3; and 3rd went to John Lake with 7-6. We had 14 anglers show up, and most found the bite to be pretty darn tough due to the recent fronts moving through and the bad moon phase. A lot of empty livewells this time. There were a lot of fish seen up shallow but not many willing to bite. Mitch won it with two fish, with a pig weighing in at 7-12. He said he came around a corner and she was just kind of sitting there suspended in about 10ft of water. The fish was caught on a swimbait, and he caught his other keeper on a worm. John and I were the only ones with actual limits although small. We both caught our fish on those darn senkos. I was using a 4" green pumpkin w/ black flk senko. However, I did catch one bass about 2.5lbs off of a bed with a baby brush hog. I went to check out the lake before hand on Friday, and found the bite to be extremely tough like most anglers did during the tournament, but towards the end of the day on Friday I found an excellent bank holding some pretty good fish, but were only willing to eat that 4" senko. So that's what I threw pretty much all day in the tournament. On Friday, I had my polaroid sunglasses with me, and was able to see the fish better and even stuck a 5lber. However, come tournament day, I totally forgot the glasses in the truck, and that really screwed me over with keeping the 4-5lb fish I'd see every once in a while in view. There always seems to be an excuse though, doesn't there? I caught 9 legal fish yesterday and was culling by 10:45, but only gaining mere ounces at a time...if that.

Anywho, it was a pretty fun tournament and a great bunch of guys. Hopefully I'll get to fish with them more often...
[signature]

Hey there SturgeonKid,

Good job, glad to hear from that budding bass pro. I read on another board that the shad were beginning to stir so I'll be watching both the shad and bass reports for late May and early June.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Good report, Alex. I know that your sportsmanlike nature prohibited you from taking first on your first tourney with these guys. I'm betting you deliberately left the glasses, pulled the bait away from the biggest fish and released the eight pound mama just to keep the local boys from boycotting you in the future. You're a heckuva guy.
[signature]
Hey Guys...

You can check out the full results and photos from the tournament at: [url "http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/03_results/main_region/3_los_banos/index.html"]http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/03_results/main_region/3_los_banos/index.html[/url]

And ya, I do what I can Tube Dude. LoL. Actually, it was kind of funny...one of the guys, Clint, asked me how I did when I was comin' in for the weigh-in...I told him I had my limit and he said..."Well, I called John a (bleep) for getting a limit, but you're new and I don't know you too well yet, so good job!" You're probably right, if I had won it there might've been some boycotting...LoL
[signature]
Congrats!!! Maybe you should change your name to "Bassmagnate," or maybe "Egobruiser" [Wink]! I'm still in the hunt for my first LM bass at Ut Lake. I have a spinning rod now and might have to go buy some senkos. Are you fishing them drop shot, carolina rig, or texas rig?

Congrats again!

ES
[signature]
Hey EmuScud...

Well, one thing that needs to be said if you're going to start trying to catch largies over at Utah Lake is...don't give up. LoL. I must've made 10 trips to that lake before I ever stuck one. Of course, it probably didn't help that it was March when I started...but really, most guys really don't catch any there first few trips and they get really frusterated. Utah Lake is quite different than any other bass water you'll face there in UT.

Yes, those senkos will go just dandy with a spinning rod. Fish them texas-rigged WEIGHTLESS. That'll get you the best results. I've also always been partial to fishing senkos wacky-rigged as well. Good luck...
[signature]
Thanks for the info! If I ever get back on the water, I'll be working those south facing banks throwing parrallel to the dike as you have instructed me previously. I should probably invest in a black/blue jig 'n pig as well.

Thanks again!

ES
[signature]
[cool]Your total corruption is well advanced. Your fairy wands are going to wither up and develop serious rejection complexes.
[signature]
A jig-n-pig is always a good investment, and blk/blu has always done me good there on UT Lake. Sounds like you remember what I told ya before about fishin' parallel to those banks. As long as you do that, it will certainly eliminate a lot of water. LoL. Good Luck and let us know if ya stick one when you get around to tryin'...
[signature]
I hear a faint whimper when I open my trunk and only pull out my spinning outfit and box of jigs and spinners. My 7 1/2' 3wgt is the most pitiful of them all, it hasn't seen the light of day for over a year. The 9' 7wgt screams, "take me! take me! I can catch a bass!" Then there is the 9' 5 wgt . . .

I figure I'm been going about fly-rodding for bass all wrong. I need to learn how to catch them in the traditional ways and then try to duplicate it with the fairy wands. Besides, the more I learn about "traditional" fishing, the more versitile I'll be on the water.

The thing I'm curious about is, I am crossing over to the "dark side" or the "light side" of the force???
[signature]
[cool]I usually go with dark patterns on overcast days or murky water. And light colors on bright days and clear waters.

Or...were you referring to something else "Fairy Wand Kenobi"?

Your thinking is sound, however. Learning more about your intended quarry, by whatever means is available, will always make you a better informed and more formidable predator.

All I gotta say is whatever time you waste in over-analyzing it is time you could have been fishing. JUST DO IT.
[signature]
I think over-analyzing comes with my profession [crazy]. I spend alot of my free time here at work reading and thinking about fishing. With the new man-cub at my house, fishing time has been dramatically reduced over the last 2 months. I have my Cuda all set up and ready to go. I finally got the transducer setup on I'll get fishing soon enough . . .

by the way, I was referring to "fairy-wand Kenobi."

ES
[signature]