Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late FG 4/19-4/20 Report
I finally got an oportunity to fish for spring trout at the Gorge. We headed to Flaming Gorge Friday eventing, depsite the wind warnings and forcasts. As has happened many times before, this was a mistake, but just couldn't resist the opportunity.

The main story and highlight was the brutally fierce wind. The boat hardly got wet in two days. We fished for less than five hours both days. On saturday morning we launched at Antelope Flat, with a light wind. We caught 8 rainbows, 17-20 inches, and three that were 23 inches. After about two hours, the wind really picked up and we ran from the lake. We headed to the Mustang Ridge Ramp, hoping for better conditions. Those conditions did not exist. We ended up not launching any more that day, and just cooked up the fish we had.

On Sunday, the wind was even stronger. It would have been a shame to just leave, so we tried to get wet again at the Antelope ramp. Couldn't even back-up the trailer far enough, before a huge close-to-shore wave filled the back of the boat with many gallons of water. Dang it. We waited a couple of hours and launched in narrow window of calm wind. With the calmer water, we could see browns and bows staging to build redds in 5-12 feet of water. We couldn't even cast before suddenly, a blast of wind started the big waves again. Got out in a hurry.

After realizing the wind would not stop, we decided to head to Sheep Creek since it was already 4 pm and almost time to start heading back. We found better conditions there and started fishing around 5:40 pm Sunday. Caught 8 rainbows and kept 7 nice ones for home. Two around 23-24 inches, the rest ranging 17-19.
Water temp was 37-38 degrees.

No macks, no burbot, no browns, no kokanee. Too yearly and cold for bass. Not enough time to fish. Did not venture out further than about a mile in any direction. The wind was just too fierce.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report LD, sounds like some tough conditions, good to read that you caught some decent bows though. How did you catch them, were you trolling, casting, were you using bait or lures? WH2
[signature]
All that, and no pics??? That's too bad [:/] I was really looking forward to your report and pics.
[signature]
All fish were caught on light-brown golden tube jigs. Not enough time and to much wind for trolling effectively. Would have been a good time ot troll for pup lakers but not this time.
[signature]
I know HookJaw but all we had this time were rainbows. If you really want siome pics of Gorge bows next time I will have some. I don't have a digital camera, so I still have 4 shoots left on the film. Will fill them up next time and post them up. I have some old pics too, I don't even remember from when or where.
[signature]
Maybe i'm reading more from your post than you intended, but why are the browns on redds? do they spawn in the spring at FG???were they on the redds as a invader?Sorry to hear of your tough times,we were thinking of the same trip but rerouted due to the forecast, better luck next time.
[signature]
Some of them sure looked like browns to me. I know they usually spawn around the end of November or Thanksgiving. You may be right, they may be moving in to feed on eggs or something. Or just like the rainbows, they may (some of them) spawn in late winter or spring.

I know Steelhead have two runs so it is expected for rainbows. As far as browns, there are some that go out to see but I think they still spawn in Fall as far as I am aware. There may be a late winter or spring strand.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not likely any browns SPAWNING, but maybe some hanging around for the feed. The big browns do not raid the nests but they will eat the small fish that do. Kinda like chumming for them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another possibility is that the male rainbows color up a bit and can look like browns until you get closer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]