Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Impressions Of The Colorado XT Pontoon Boat
I bought the Colorado XT a couple days ago & here are my initial impressions.
Since I had the Outcast Streamer XL pontoon boat, I had a very good idea how to put the Colorado XT together. The frame was put together easy, & the pontoons hold air w/ no problems. Only bummer is my hand pump, the handle broke, so I have to buy another hand pump.
I put the Colorado XT together & it looks awesome! It has a wheel that attaches to the back of the frame & you can tuck the wheel under if you want to. So I can pull off the Colorado XT from the roof & install the wheel by the car, load up my gear & wheel to the waters edge. I can then either tuck the wheel under the pontoon boat or bring the wheel back to the Jeep & get my fishing rods.
It's not much heavier than my other pontoon boat, I can easily pick it up & wiggle it on the roof of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's slightly wider than my other pontoon, but still the pontoon tubes ride the rails on the Grand Cherokee.
Since it's slightly wider I feel that this is going to be very stable even when there are waves present. The pontoons are longer by a foot & the pontoons are longer & flatter than the Streamer XL. I would think that this will track much better. The Streamer XL would track ok, since the pontoons were angled up on the tips so only so much of the pontoon tubes were in contact w/ the water. It's very easy to turn on a dime w/ the Stream XL, but it was too easy that I would turn when I didn't want to. So I am hoping that the Colorado XT will turn a little slower that it can track better.
The wire basket in back is longer in length but shorter in width. So there isn't much room to put a milk crate in back. I had to modify & put a couple plastic baskets that had a narrower bottom. One basket I have a 3 rod holder mounted on the outside & I have a couple single rod holders on the corners tied on. So I essentially have 5 rod holders. I have both baskets so I can put more gear inside & the baskets are as tall as a milk crate.
The bags that come along w/ the Colorado XT are quite big that I can put much of my stuff in both the bags. I have no use for the stripping tray that is included, so I left that out.
The anchor system is very cool. I can drop or pull up the anchor from where I sit, I don't have to reach around to work the anchor. I'm using a 5 lb dumbell for an anchor.
The 7' oars are made of aluminum. They actually feel lighter than the 6' aluminum oars that came w/ the Streamer XL. What I am going to order for the oars are oar rights. I need these to keep the oars in a ready rowing position. These are a bit expensive at $22 ea, but I feel well worth the initial purchase so I don't have to adjust the oars when I'm ready to row.
I like the pumpkin (orange) color. I can be seen easily on the water w/ this pontoon. The Colorado XT also comes in a sage (olive green) color. Nice color, but I like to be seen while on the water.
I haven't had a chance to put the Colorado XT on the water. My back has been sore for whatever reason & the weather hasn't been all that good. I'm hoping by this coming Thurs that the weather & my back are up to par. I would like to have the maiden voyage by then. I am so looking forward on how well the Colorado XT will handle in the water. I want to feel how easy this pontoon boat will row compared to my other pontoon boat.
Classic Accessories has done a great job updating the Colorado pontoon boat. I held off buying the Colorado b/c of air lose issues & other problems. The air valves on the XT version have been improved, it has the same Summit 2 air valves like on the Streamer XL. The frame seems to be quite sturdy, even though it's made of steel. This I do not mind since I won't be taking the Colorado XT in salt water. I've talked to a rep at Classic Accessories about the pontoon boat & like what she had to say. They will stand behind w/ their warranty for 2 years. That's a bit short for a warranty but if anything will go wrong, it should happen in that time span. And after that time span, I can buy spare parts after that. I've heard of fabric issues like the fabric would come apart w/ other Classic Accessories float tubes. I hope that the construction of the fabric is done much better on the Colorado XT. I'll be keeping an eye of any stitching coming undone.
So I hope by next weeek I can have the Colorado XT on the water & I'll be able to have a couple pics to post on here.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great review. Very thorough and objective.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope everything lives up to your expectations. Looking forward to a review on how it fishes. Sometimes takes a couple of trips to really get the feel of a new craft.[/#0000ff]
[signature]