Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floatation vs Drag
I really like the PVC attaching cage that Zonker built to hold all his rods and fish finder and may well build one for my H3 when it arrives. What I was wondering is why couldn't 6x8" bullet floats be added to the bottom rung of the cage to add floatation to the whole setup?? Kayakers use them (commonly referred to as Lobster Bouys) on the outriggers/stabilizers that they frequently construct out of PVC too.
[signature]
I dont know why you couldn't but I do not think it is necessary. I am one of the bigger guys here at just over 250 and I feel the H3 floats me well. The biggest draw back I can see is it increases your footprint in the water. It just seams unnecessary to me.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Keep it simple, son. Don't overthink it. Less is more when it comes to tubin'...although you wouldn't think so when you see my rig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Majja suggests, extra floatation is not a problem with the H3. I jockeyed one around for a few months and floating high was never a problem, even though I am well past the 250 mark. What can be a problem is having too many things below the water line to create drag when you are trying to power your way from one spot to another...like trying to get back to shore during a windstorm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of extra pounds above the waterline will not affect the ride much. But, even hanging a basket of fish over the side will slow you down and affect your tracking.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A couple of extra pounds above the waterline will not affect the ride much. But, even hanging a basket of fish over the side will slow you down and affect your tracking.

A COUPLE OF EXTRA POUNDS! I have seen your live well basket, and I am amazed you don't go in circles! Or at least train those kitties to swim the same direction....Hummmmmmm KITTY POWER! Like to see the DMV license that![cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Cats are much easier to train than carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can't really tell by looking at me in my waders, but my right leg is about twice as thick as my left leg...from compensating for the drag from my fish basket.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yea Luke 72 and I were playing around with the drag that a basket gives. It is amazing. I bet by pulling my basket out of the water we were able to go about 1-2 mph faster using the 28lb thrust motor on his toon while pushing my tube.
[signature]
I wonder how much faster I can push you now that i have the 50.... mmmmm [:p]
[signature]
We could probably tow a water skier ... hehe
[signature]
I am curious how long you get on a battery with that 50. I know they are making them more efficient and I want updates if you don't mind.
I might be getting a new Minn this year with a slightly longer shaft for my Navi II. I think that could help allot. The 30 I have when dropped all the way has the blade about an inch from the bottom of the Tube/Toon.
[signature]
I have only had 1 chance to use it since I got it. Majja and I took my jon boat (16' wood) out to UL for a couple hours. My meter at home said I still had about 80% charge left when we got back. Haven t had a chance to use it on the toon yet, but I'll let you know when I do
[signature]
Thank you very much, like I said I have read where these are getting twice the life out of one charge.
[signature]
[#29006b]just my two cents.. my thought is that if he is pushing a 16' wooden jon boat for several hours on the 30.. and still have roughly an 80% charge left.. and all things being equal,.. with the lighter load of you and the toon.. then you should get at least the same performance if not better..

MacFly [cool]

... course I could be wrong too.. [/#29006b][sly]
[signature]
Macfly it was a 50 not a 30.
[signature]
I am hearing such great things about these new motors. One friend said he got THREE days out of his.....might be a change in this here future.
[signature]
sorry.. rough afternoon I mistyped the number but still think the comment is accurate..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No worries.
[signature]
And if you buy it through Wallmart now I believe it is like 200.00 and Minn Kota has a 60 rebate on it so that puts your cost at 140. Just order it online and have it shipped to your closest Wallmart (free shipping this way)
[signature]