Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout fishing near Boise
Hello All,

I'm making a trip to Boise in June and I'd like to do a little bit of trout fishing while I'm there. The last time I was there I did some fishing in the Boise River up near the Broadway bridge next to Boise State. Caught about 5 very small trout. I wanted to see if someone could point me to a bit better location since the trout were small and I had to dodge the tubers. I have a break down pole that I carry in my luggage which is a spinning rod and I throw the smallest Rooster Tail. I guess I could get a break down fly road if that would work better.

Thanks,
John
[signature]
Lived in Boise for several years and unless you want to travel you are only going to catch planters around town. There are some larger trout but it's hit or miss. Unless you are there when they plant Steelhead or Salmon.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. When you say travel can I go somewhere close like within an hour of Boise to do some decent trout fishing or are you talking like going to St. Anthony or Stanley?
[signature]
For a trip shorter certainly than Stanley, you might consider any of the forks of the Boise. The South, Middle, and North Forks all provide good fishing at times. The only concern might be high water in June. When you arrive you just need to check on Fish 'n' Hunt, or recheck at this site for more up-to-date info. Mike P.S.: I understand they are planning on planting chinook in the Boise R., so downtown Boise might be your best bet!
[signature]
Would there be a better place for me to go in downtown Boise or would it be all relatively the same? I was up near the Broadway bridge.

Also, how do you get to one of the forks. I saw heading on HWY 21 towards Idaho City on one web site. Is the fork basically where Hwy 21 runs parallel to the bike path?
[signature]
If you are there after Memorial Day then go to Silver Creek, it's about a 2 hour drive but you are talking some of the best fishing in th US and a chance at catching a 10+lb brown.

I always enjoyed fishing below Lucky Peak which is only 10 minutes out of town. The new state record was caught there. I found the fish a little bigger there.
[signature]
The Middle Fork can be accessed by going past Lucky Peak and Arrowrock reservoirs. A road to The North Fork can be found just past Idaho City. The South Fork can be fished in a stretch below Anderson Ranch Res. Mike
[signature]
The three forks of the Boise as Kodiak mentions are all good bets in a typical June. Key will be water levels this June given the huge snowpack still up there. Mores Creek summit had around 6 feet or more when I drove through last week. If the forks are too high still in June you may want to try the lakes which should have fairly stable levels by June. Lucky Peak and Arrowrock can be great from shore but it is mainly bait on the bottom fishing without a boat. Best areas with the most fish are off the rock slides with steeper drop-offs as opposed to sandy shores with gradual drops. Trolling should be excellent by mid-May for topliners and DR's later on in mid-June. Closer into Boise, don't overlook the main river above the Eckert Road diversion up to Diversion Dam adjacent to the cliffs. It's not planted like the rest of the river but has a few larger than typical bows and some monster browns as well if you know how to get a brown to rise. (present company not included) I've seen "large" browns roll in the evening while walking along that section and saw a five plus pounder come out of the hole right at the Eckert road diversion. My best bow in this section is 18" with a very prominent red band. A few whitefish hold just below the diversion dam as well. If its high water be careful. Probably won't be many tubers in June; just a few crazies daring the high water.
[signature]