Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of fish is it ?
second time i've seen one , first time was lake erie about seven years ago , now here in a local river . it looks like a darned baracuda ! bright silver with eyes the size of a fiftey cent piece ! about 30 inches in length with big teeth visible from about fourty feet away .no joking on this one from me , i can't find anything on it , looks just like a cuda with big eyes and teeth ! got any clues or pics ? maybe a invasive species from a freightor ?
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

Very interesting! Do you have a picture? Maybe your state fish and game department might have a handle on what it is!
If there are no replies answering your question, please dig a little more and let us know it's name, etc.

JapanRon
[signature]
Where did you see that alien? Lake Erie has one too? What about asking the folks of Stone Lab-Ohio State University's research lab on Gibraltar Island? Let me know what you hear...I'm scared now...
[signature]
[center][Image: LongnoseLancetfish.jpg][/center][center][Image: goldeye.jpg][/center]
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage259928.jpg][/center][center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage2606191.jpg][/center][center]let me know if I am getting close[/center]
[signature]
If you want a guess than how about a Eel with whirlings disease.
[signature]
the top fish posted is very similar , it has the same head features but with larger eye and spike teeth ( jaw extended past the large eye , eye close to the jaws hinge ) . a smaller dorsal and lateral fins too completley webbed . very , very bright silver in color with larger scales . totally silver in color , no dark markings at all , underbody ( belly ) thin white strip ., about the same size scales you would see on a gar or a carp . the basic body shape of a northern pike .

both time i have seen this spicies of fish it was feeding , it surfaced out of the water very fast on about a 40 degree angle with it's prey in its jaws , completley airborn .

i have been searching all kinds of data bases from here in the u.s. nothing yet . this top picture is the closest thing yet . what species is that dave ? it might be a diferent strain of that fish .
[signature]
[Wink] I think that was my wife !!! sounds like her with those fangs and big eyes !!!! It happens every payday !!!!

Flagmanonice.....................
[signature]
hey there lonehunter, boy that,s somethin!!! i,d hate to be in the water with that thing haa anyways i don,t know what it is but jack and i rode to hopkington new hapshire sunday and we stopped by this good fishin and huntin shop we stop to every year and they had a column in the newspaper on the board outside and they had what ya call a snkehead fish that goes land and water on it. it can stay out of water for up to 3 days eatin animals on shore grows to 3-4 ft and eats fish his own size just like a snake. looked somethin like it. some people shiipped them in to eat from the restraunts around town and some got in the water. now they,re havin trouble with em. they caome from overseas somewhere i forget where it was asia, i think and their eatin everythin in sight. their tryin to git rid of em. does this one go land too??? ya figure?? it,s ugly. might not be it but this is what hapeenion here. later
[signature]
[Smile][Wink][laugh][laugh]HAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD ONE.[cool]
[signature]
How about this?

[font "Verdana"][#ffffff][size 2]ATLANTIC CUTLASSFISH[/url] (Trichiurus lepturus)[/size][/#ffffff][/font] [center] [Image: atlanticcutlass.gif][/center]
[signature]
nope , not an eel type fish , it had a body type like a pike , baracuda , muskey . very huge eyes . bright silver .

maybe the d.n.r. might know , i'll send a description to them too .
[signature]
Lonehunter... sure it isn't an alligator gar that was somehow transplanted?
[signature]
Could be a musky. those things are vicious.
[signature]
nope , we have plenty of gars , i know them by heart . i bow hunt them every year .
[signature]
they vcalled it a snake head and all silver but it was little as a baby, what ya think but the head on it looked the same as this.[Smile]
[signature]
mr guest man sir, [size 1]ReelMN[/size] may have a valid point here, it is not uncommon for any breed of fish to caught lacking pigmentation. leaving it a silver or almost transparent of color.

I my self have caught a cat fish, sturgen, black bass and carp that were pure white (silverish in color) this is a product of where they live. being born lacking of pigment is not rare of fish living in dark holes.

as for a posibility of a gar cross breading with a walleye is not far feched eather. though not common, it is not imposible.

another fish lonehunter that resembles the walleye in size and collor and yes can reach 30-40 inches in lenth is the saugeye but I am assuming that you already know what one looks like. if not check out a pic of one. it is a primitive relitive of the walleye.
[signature]
PAYARA FISH IS THE CLOSEST THING SO FAR , A FRESHWATER FISH FROM THE AMAZON . THE SCALES ARE DIFERENT THOUGH . MAYBE A HYBRED OF IT . I DON'T HAVE A PIC TO SHOW , THE ONE I DID FIND WAS COPYWRITED . THE SAME HEAD , THATS A DEFINATE !
[signature]
[font "Arial"]But the payara's most unforgettable features are the two long teeth protruding up from its lower jaw. When the payara clamps its mouth shut, these 4-6 inch fangs fit nicely through corresponding sockets in the upper jaw. These great predators attack upward, impaling prey with their fangs and then swallowing them whole and head first.[/font] [center][Image: payara11.jpg][/center]
[signature]
I'LL SCETCH A PICTURE OF THE FISH AND HAVE THE WIFE SCAN IT AT WORK TO POST IT HERE . IT MIGHT GIVE YOU A REAL GOOD IDEA OF ITS LOOKS . I'M STILL WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM THE D.N.R.
[signature]