Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon question
Hello all. New poster, short time lurker. I have been thinking about getting myself a Toon. I have been looking at the "Trout Unlimited Colorado XT Pontoon Boat"
at Cabelas... My question is for those of you out there that might have one of these,

Can this boat be broke down easy afte each use? I live in an apartment and drive a small car.

thank you
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We just had another new member ask a similar question a few threads back. That special price at Cabelas has evidently motivated a few newbie tooners to make the jump.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Basic answer: It is a good craft at a good price. And yes, it does break down easily for transport and storage. Pontoons are a bit bigger, heavier and more involved (than float tubes) in the setup and takedown on the water. But, if you want the larger craft and the other niceties of a pontoon, they are worth the extra hassle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the fast reply TubeDude. I Have seen these in the local stores and have been interested in getting one for a couple years now. The few store clerks that I asked here unfortunatly didnt have the answers I was looking for. Anyways thanks again. Glad I stumbled onto this forum/site

Tight lines all!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We're glad you found us too. Hope you hang around and let us help you get properly set up and afloat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is Sad that such a high percentage of store clerks in sporting emporiums have so little real knowledge of the merchandise they sell. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is kind of like the writers in national fishing magazines. Some of them are good writers that write about fishing....but obviously do not know much about their subject. Others writers know their stuff about fishing, but may not put out the wonderful prose that defines them as good writers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am kind of snarky sometimes. When I spot an inexperienced angler selling fishing tackle, I will "bait" them with loaded questions, just to make them squirm...or to see how much garbage they will spout out in an effort to try to bluff their way through an answer. I am not impressed with BS. I do appreciate it when I hear "I don't know, but I will find out,"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With all of the information available on the Internet these days, it is much easier to do some digital shopping and information gathering before making a buying decision.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well maybe I can get Wasatch801 to post up as he has a toon and lives in an apt. But as I fish with him all the time he just picked up a tube as he got tired of always haveing to take it apart and put it together every time. I know Luke72 use to take his fully assembled on the top of his car with straps running down through the doors, and he drives a small car as well. So that is a tough question. I personally prefer a tube as there is lees hassle. Granted you can not cover as much water and are a little lower in the water, I do prefer the tube.
[signature]
I love my toon but I do have the room for it. I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara, and I had to get a trailer (flat Bed) for my 11 1/2' pontoon. at home I would either park the whole trailer in the garage or hang the boats in the rafters. That was till we got a new Pick-up, then it was a fight to see who got the garage. Ended up buying one of those canopies' for my car.
But last year with the addition of the Navigator II, we do inflate and deflate them and store them in the bag they came with. It can become a hassle on trips to have to keep inflating and deflating, but the LVM pump makes it easier. I personally preferred the trailer, but hubby hates the idea of putting another hitch on the back of the camping trailer to haul it.
The great thing about the Navigator II is it is a PONTOON and a TUBE. A bit more money but worth every penny to me and will be with me for many years to come. NO FRAME, but has oars and a shelf for battery and motor mount. Totally inflatable right down to the seat!
[signature]
I do agree the Nav II is the perfect combo. It is a true Pontube or floatoon. Which ever you perfer.
[signature]