Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANY RECENT DEER CREEK REPORTS?
Thinking about hitting deer creek sunday one more time before the water gets to low to launch a boat. Anyone fished it the last 2 days or even today? Have the eyes started biting yet?
[signature]
Also interested in knowing. I might hit rainbow bay tomorrow.
[signature]
My buddy and I are heading up next Thursday and were wondering what is the best way to get to the west side. We will be coming up Provo Canyon?
[signature]
If you are on foot, you used to be able to park at the pull off near the dam, but now that they are doing all of the construction, I think the best way is to park at the pull off right at the road going to Charleston and walking it in across the dry section of the lake.
[signature]
If you have a boat just go to the first state park entrance less traffic then you can make your way anywhere.It only takes me about 10 minutes fom one end to the other on my boat.
[signature]
Utahspazz, Tanner, and I hit D.C. this morning. We launched at the Deercreek state Park around 8:45. We started trolling on the West side, with pop gear & worm. It was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine,very little wind. We ended up catching 9 nice bows. 3 were about 2 lbs. All but 2 were caught with pop gear and Gulp Minnow. We anchord in a small cove and tried for walley, but I guess we just don't know how to catch one yet![:/] It was still a great day to be on the water./
[signature]
Is the water level really dropping? How much does it need to drop before the ramps are not useable?

I know they are still working on the dam but I had heard they were still gonna fill it about 70%. With the runoff started it should be going up instead of down.......
[signature]
I heard the direct opposite. I heard that they were going to keep it at 30% capacity, so you probably heard 70% UNDER full capacity. That is if I heard it right, could be the other way around and you are right, but either way it was a "bugger" launching my boat last week there. I had to damn near submerge my truck to get the boat in the water. What a shame!!!
TS
[signature]
catching walleyes at this time of year can be a hoot. the spawn is over and they are setting up for presummer pattern. they will spread out on slow tappering shore lines and feed on what ever comes their way. walleyes can be caught on a few differant baits. you can troll crankbaits, bottom bouncers, drift jigs with plastics or worms or even drift liny rigs at deer creek. later chuck
[signature]
I was there last week and the water was away low!! It will be very soon for the water to get low enough were they will have to take the docks out of the water.Thats why i am getting in some Dc fishing time in.Gonna be a tooners paradise very soon.
[signature]
[url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php/index.php?nid=148&sid=2899485"]http://www.ksl.com/...?nid=148&sid=2899485[/url]

Well I guess it was just the 30 that stuck in both of our heads. I guess "the government" will not let them fill it any more than 30 feet below full capacity (5417 feet). Or in other words they need to keep it at or below 5387 feet. Anybody know what the current lake elevation is? I did a quick search for a website that would tell me but couldn't find it. Anyone know of good site that gives current lake level elevation? It sure seems like right now the lake is a LOT lower than 30 feet below capacity! It seem like judging from the shore lines that it is a good 50-60 feet below full....

The full story.....
Deer Creek Reservoir will not fill to capacity this year
March 20th, 2008 @ 4:14pm
John Hollenhorst reporting In spite of what could be a banner year for spring runoff, Deer Creek Reservoir will not be filling up this year. It's all because of an ongoing project at the Deer Creek dam. A viewer sent Eyewitness News an e-mail wondering what's going to happen with the lake level at Deer Creek this year. Is it going to fill? The answer is: not even close. The popular recreation lake will be deliberately restricted from filling up this year. The maximum the government will allow is 30 vertical feet down from the elevation considered "full," which is 5,417 feet.
[url "http://media.bonnint.net/slc/411/41186/4118677.jpg"][Image: img200][/url]

It will be held at or below 5,387 feet because of a seismic upgrade being done to the spillway at the Deer Creek dam. "The dam was built 60, 70 years ago, before we understood some things about earthquakes and the kind of things that earthquakes can cause relative to earth dams. Therefore, we're doing this work. We started in 2003 and we hope to finish by next year. Although, we hope to get the majority of the work done by the end of this season," explained Bruce Barrett, with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. If you had fun the last few years at the lake, it will probably be OK this year. During some of the drought years it stayed significantly below 5,387 feet, so some boaters will already be used to the low level. The good news is, in 2009 things should be more or less back to normal, assuming next winter is a normal winter. E-mail: [url "mailto:jhollenhorst@ksl.com"]jhollenhorst@ksl.com[/url]
[signature]
I got tired of driving so far out into the water myself. Go to the south ramp it is much steeper and you don't have to go very far out. It's much easier than the ramp at the island.
[signature]
So whats the most recent reports? Planning on going Friday morning, if I don't go to UL.
[signature]