Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Couple Questions
So I'm pretty new to fishing and I wanted to get some tips from you guys.

I have been fishing in neighborhood ponds lately and will be fishing more in Lake Lanier in Ga later this summer. I have been using plastic Zoom worms and a shad rap most of the time. I was wondering under what conditions should I been using different colors?

Also, what is the best way to use plastics? I know I should go slow but if anyone could be more specific on technique that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
In general I use light colors on sunny days, dark colors on cloudy days. Same with water clarity (light colors-clear water, dark colors-murky water) . Although this is subject to change at any given moment [cool].
When working plastics I like to use an 1/8 oz. bullet weight with a 2/0 extra wide gap hook, a Texas rig. I'll cast it torward structure-weedlines, rocks, brushpiles, stumps, etc. and if I don't get hit on the drop I'll bring it in using 3-5 short hops and then pause for a few seconds, maybe drag it a couple feet, pause, hop again, etc.
A couple of my favorite plastics are Yamamoto hula grubs (crawdad), Wave Worm Tiki Crawdudes, Lake Fork zig zags, and Yumdingers. Green pumpkin, watermelon and cinnamon are my go to colors. Smoke pearl or green/white on clear days.
When using stickbaits (Yumdingers, Senkos, Tiki-sticks, salt sticks, etc.) I'll still use a 2/0 ewg hook but no weight. Cast anywhere and let it sink with a slack line, it has alot of movement on the drop. Be sure to watch your line for taps. If it makes it to the bottom lift your rod tip high then let it sink, etc.
Sorry for the novel, I got carried away.
[signature]
Can't add much to that, but once you have mastered the methods Fish4fun, try a caralina rig with a small Lizard in watermelon. Pull it along a weed line slowly.Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
[signature]
What kind of structure are in these ponds and how deep are they? Lilly pads? What kind of zoom worm are you using?
[signature]
The ponds I have been fishing don't have any lily pads but the bottoms are covered in logs, weeds, ect. I've been using black grape zoom worms with a U - tail mostly, sometimes brown. I would guess they are about 20 ft deep max.
[signature]
I went to a very small pond today that had catfish and bass in it. Using fish4fun05's method I caught a 3 pound LM and 1 pound LM. I figured that was about as big as the pond had. I was using the black grape worm w/ a U - tail taking into consideration that it was pretty cloudy and the water was solid brown. Thanks for all the help and if anyone has any mroe advice that would be awsome as well.
[signature]
Glad I could help, you'll only get better from here on out. One thing about bass fishing is you never stop learning something new, no matter how long you've been fishing. Looking forward to more reports.
[signature]