Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadkill
[Smile]Does anyone know the laws in utah about picking up roadkill I've heard in other states its legal to pick up roadkill or you need a special permit or its illegal how about in utah though?I hate to see animals going to waste on the side of the road. By the way (Fly Tying Materials) incase anyone was wondering.
[signature]
Had me a little worried there for awhile Hoobie.lmao. Sorry I don't know the laws.But I think you need a license for alot of it, that is what I have heard anyway.
[signature]
I was told that if you hit an animal you can take it but you have to call a dwr agent and he has to come and inspect before you take it. And I think they is a fee.
[signature]
Hey Hoobie,
I have been thinking the same thing, so thank you for bringing it up.I have heard rumors that you can then I have heard you can't. So until I hear from someone that knows, I'll leave them where they are.
[signature]
if it flies into your lap it your to keep. just like at the ball games lol
[signature]
I don't know about the mammals, but to collect feathers from any deceased protected bird (which is everything except starlings and house sparrows) you need a "salvage permit". Your local DWR office should have more info on exact regs. and fees(if any??). You can pick up loose feathers wherever you find them as long as they are not from Eagles, which are reserved for Native Americans. Of course, any game taken by legal means is fair game for the tying bench. MOST IMPORTANTLY, whenever you collect "wild" fly tying materials, make sure you disinfect and isolate them from the rest of your stuff or else you could end up with a major parasite infestation and have to trash the lot.[Sad]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You aren't part of the cook crew on Saturday, are you?[/size][/font]
[signature]
I just called the DWR and they said you can pick up animals that you do not need a license to take, like raccoons but deer are another matter. They said you can call a DWR office and wait for an officer to come out and he might donate the hide to you but he might not, it depends on the officer. WH2
[signature]
Call the DWR and they come out and inspect the road kill and give you a salvage permit. If it's a buck they cut the horns and take them. I've got a friend that gets them all the time for the hides but I think he's got some sort of deal with the DWR.

Best to be safe than sorry. [Wink]
[signature]
You may collect any non-game animal from the side of, or off the roadyway as roadkill. You may also collecct any father that is NOT attached to a carcass. For deer, elk. fox, rabbit you need to obtain the proper permit. Here's the catch if you get a trapping permit then you can collect anything that is trapable except big game and birds.

Most DWR agents will have no problem in letting you collect roadkill for their fur, feathers or other parts that you may desire. (shudders) I collect the tails of skunks for my black wolly buggers, they are the best. I have no permit and the DWR in my area has no problem with the collection. Deer on the other hand is off limits. They have a contract with this fellow who drives around and collects them from the road side. So all of them belong to him. Just check with your local DWR agent and find out their feelings on this. They have huge leway in their discretion on this matter. You don't want to run into a hard nose now.

road
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I hate that when my best cooking secrets gets out. . . . . [mad][/size][/font]
[signature]
Like I said before "better safe than sorry"

All birds and their parts are protected federally. The only two birds that aren't protected is House finch's and starlings (non native species). Their is some birds that you cannot take unless you are a Indian.

The best things to do is call the DWR for state game animals. The BLM, Forest Service, or the local Fish and Wildlife Service for federally protected animals or for more info on salvaging animals of any kind.
[signature]
[cool]I've got some great squirrel, badger, rockchuck and other furry fly tying materials from road kill. Some of them I had to chase to get 'em, but once you hit 'em, you own 'em. Wouldn't recommend it for skunks though.

In some parts of the country road kill is a vital part of the protein content of some families' diets. I guess it's all a matter of what your needs are and what your threshold of barf is.

Just to show there is national recognition for the value of road kill, here are some pics.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1792456.jpg]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1776758.jpg]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1789882.jpg]
[signature]
I AM SORRY I DONT NO THE LAWS BUT IN MICHIGAN WE LEAVE IT OR WE JUST PUSH IT TO THE
SIDE OF THE ROAD THAT WAY THE ANAMALS/CARNAVORS CAN EAT IT [Smile]
[signature]
In the late 80's I drove past a road kill muley near Scipio three days in a row during the heat of summer. On the third day there was a guy hacking a hindquarter off the well bloated beast with a pocket knife. Yum yum, well aged venison. I hear the maggots make great tenderizer.

Good Scavenging, Kayote
[signature]
Boy he must have been on some really tuff times. I watched a 4 point this winter disappear piece by piece going into Park City. Every week there was a little more of it gone. 1st some took the rack, then one hind quarter, then the other, finally one front shoulder was removed. Then next week the whole thing was gone. But it was below freezing the whole time so they probably got meat that wasn't spoiled, but the taste might not have been what they were expecting.
[signature]
Me and some buddy was down south kinda by scipio area and there was a dead cow. been there about 3 days or so also and after it got really really bloted we saw some kids throwing little rocks at it. After watching this for about 10 min or so the young looking kid decided to pick up a rock weighing I am guessing about 10 lucks this thing over about 5-10 feet away and trows right at the stomach..........BOOOOOOOOOOOM all over this kid. and the kid went right to his knees just a throwing up. all the time his brother.....ok and me with my buddys just laughing out butts off.

Just a funny story. Thought you might like.
[signature]
FishFearMe,

I'm laughing so hard my side hurts. Paints a vivid picture.

Kayote
[signature]
I figure it would be too much of a hasle. by the time you put up with the smell and going to find it you might as well just buy the material.
[signature]