Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry on the toon
I will be hitting strawberry tomorrow on the toon. I have never fly fished there or been on the toon there. Any suggestions on where to go would be great. thanks
[signature]
Im jelious !!! Havent had a chance to take the toon out this year yet. Id say this time of year hit chicken creek east just below the highway Ive done pretty well there this time of year but it can get abit crowded ...
[signature]
sinergy, We (the hubby and myself) are headed up Saturday, so drag out that toon and come on up!
Not sure where to go. Ladders, Chicken Creek, Renegade (I heard there is still snow on the road to the far side of the Berry but who know.
Or even Soldier Creek side. I always do good over there.
[signature]
Hey, some info about the Berry today. I went to Renegade Bay boat launch, .and fished all the way to Indian Creek. On the water at 8. Lovely morning. Didn't get a bite till 9. One fish in 1 hour. At 10 changed to a brown wolley bugger with green flash. Caught 2 real fast, I thought this was the ticket. No more fish. 11:00 Changed to green, 2 fish real fast. I thought this was the ticket. No more fish. 12:00 Changed leader and put one I tied just for fun, Red sparkle with black hackle and tail, 2 fish in 3 casts. thought this was definitely the ticket. 1 more fish, 8 inch chub. 1:00 kicked towards the ramp for 1 more hour. Usually the wind blows the other way.[pirate] All said, I had a great day! 8 Cutthroat, 1, 22inches. 1, 24 inches, 6, 19-21. and a cute little chub. Can't tell you about temp or depth, as my fishing buddy croaked. I fished an intermediate line and was bumping bottom a lot. Got the biggest one 5 feet from shore, 3' deep. I think it will get better after this weekend and the water warms up a touch. Best time today was tween 10 and 12. hope this helps, and isn't to late. Humpy
[signature]
I ended up at Chicken Creek. Not my favorite part of the lake cause it is so iffy.
Got there at 9:00 and fumbled around and on water by 9:30. Got out to about 30' and motor finally died (for real this time, but it has had a good 8 yr life). So kicked my way back to shore. My sonar somehow got a crack in the screen. Not happy about that when I realize I have to buy a new motor.
Put some tape (rubbery) that I use to patch a tube on it and that will work.
FINALLY, got out to fish. I headed up the shore line in about 5' to 6' of water. Was using intermediate line and a Platt River Spider (basically a Yellow and Brown Soft hackle with red Duck wing feather fibers for a tail, on a #4 streamer.) THREE in a row. 2 @22 and 1 @24. By then the feet were numb, so the old man requested we leave. I lost the Platt on some underwater brush, so tied on a Yellow Zonker with verigated brown/black chenille belly. Short distance to shore but two real good slams and a bunch of taps. If I had had more time I know I could have zeroed that in! YELLOW!
One hour fishing three fish...that's okay...for now[laugh]

[Image: StrawMay20071400.jpg]
[Image: StrawMay20075400.jpg]
[Image: StrawMay20072400.jpg]
[signature]
CONGRATS FG !!! those are some nice cuts, I wish I could of joined ya but my little one is all congested I think there a virus going around [:/] Sorry to hear your motor broke. At least you caught some nice fish [Smile]

Gonna try hit some were this week before the holiday rush begins hopefully I can get the toon out and hit the berry
[signature]
I would like to get up again soon also. Let me know if you want to split gas. The weather looks iffy this week but Thurs. or Friday may be ok. I think I'll take a hint from FG. , and tie up something yellow and buggy looking. Want to try out my new Fishing Buddy. Later, Humpy
[signature]
Hell Yea, that would be cool to get out and do some fish in with ya Hopefully sometime soon I got 18 hours of overtime just got to get the green light from my employer to take the day off.
[signature]