Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answer to EC Rumors
This thread may belong to the previous 'East Canyon rumers' thread, but I thought some people may have forgotten or just may not go back to look.

I called both the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation local office and the East Canyon State Park office to ask whether or not any land, water, or rights would be sold to some National Forest. The response from both places was that this will not happen, and they have no knowledge of any such future plans. The Bureau of Reclamation owns the dam and water (and operation rights) but the Wasatch-Cache National Forest manages the area.

They confirmed that there has been some talk of changing fees, but there have been no meetings or set dates of anything. It may well all turn out to be rumors, about the fees.

Same story for Mantua. Nothing is set for fee changes. They said there are procedures in place before they just start changing things (the State Park system and WC National Forest).

Here are the two numbers I used:

[ul][li]USBR local number: (801) 379-1000[/li][li]EC State Park number: (801) 829-6866[/li][/ul]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for making the effort and posting the information.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm sure that a few of our Utah BFTers will rest easier knowing that their favorite ponds are not going to change.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanx for looking that up. I havent had the time to do it myself. I was the one who originally posted the question.
[signature]
I seen the one in charge of EC park service and like said above all is just rumors...
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]Hey Line,[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]You da man! I also made some calls yesterday and found out exactly the same thing. I also called the Forest Service offices in Salt Lake City and Ogden. It appears that the Wasatch-Cache NF boundaries come no where close to encompassing East Canyon and the Forest Service would have no reason to even consider any body of water outside their boundaries. People at both offices had a good laugh at the rumor.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]As a side note, all the land surrounding East Canyon is state owned according the State Park description. It doesn’t say how far away from the waters edge that ownership extends, but the edge of the lake is state owned.[/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."