Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to pontoon
[Smile]
Just got a new 9' pontoon boat and would like to break it in. I would like try strawberry. Any suggestions on where to put in and what flies to use.
Thanks
[signature]
Launch at Renegade. Use intermediate line stripping woolly buggers in dark colors (flash is nice). The fish are very shallow right now, often in less than 20 feet of water.
[signature]
CONGRATS !!! on the new toon

Youll have to let us know how strawberry is fishing there a few previous posts with people hitting chicken creek on yellow zonkers
[signature]
I don't think the area matters as much as the depth. I don't know if you have been tubing or pontooning before. I fished from a tube for about 15 years before I bought a pontoon. I love being out of the water and casting and stripping are easier, but in the wind I always wish that I was back in my tube. Big black buggers worked the best for me yesterday. I caught about the same amount of fish on ones with flash and without. When stripping the fish wanted extra long pauses between 1 to 5 variable quick strips. Vary your strip and pause routine until you find the ticket. good luck and hold on tight.
[signature]
I agree with launching anywhere, but flies....Take a good variety and colors.
I can tell you I have done KILLER up there with Yellow/Brown, Black/Red, Olive/Brown, and MAROON or BLOOD, but I am a big SOFTHACKLE fan. More movement the better. Check out Gartside's Softhackles in a #4-#8.

I have also done killer with a Purple Showgirl for the Cutts and a #12 Wet Coachman Dropper for Rainbows.

My trip last weekend was good with long steady strips. The fish attacked.

Just experiment, and if using Intermediate, think about counting down is catch is slow to try different ZONES.
[signature]
Thanks guys
I headed out in rain and when I got there it was almost a whiteout. I went for it anyway. I've never been on a toon before and was a little shaky with the oars. I did get better though. I used a black bugger with flash, I got a couple of hits but my casting needs some practice( I snapped off 2 flys). I tried different stripping methods. I guess its always a learning process.
Thanks again
[signature]
Just keep trying and never get discouraged . if the fish don't bite so be drink a beeras Tn2 and I , or soda ,or water, or wiskey, as flygoddess there's always next time. no hurry
[signature]
I would love to go out on the water with you, anytime. We are heading to a little lake in Idaho this weekend. It is a great Deep Water Nymphing hole for sure, but with all the lousy weather, we shall see.
[signature]