Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
odc 420 or imposter?
take two:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0057620320640a&navCount=1&podId=0057620&parentId=cat360011&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=perf-cat360011&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat360011"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0057620320640a&navCount=1&podId=0057620&parentId=cat360011&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=perf-cat360011&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat360011[/url]

Tubedude, floatN2 et al,

been looking at fish cat 4 and odc 420. money is an issue with my first FT. Can you guys tell me if this odc is the 420 or a cheap imposter?
anybody know anything about this package deal here at cabellas?

thanks!
dave in lehi
[signature]
[cool]Looks like the real deal to me...they just changed the color a bit from light blue. I believe they upped the list price on those things within the last year. The sale price now is around what the list price used to be if I remember right. Of course, I don't think they used to sell it with the fins and pump.

If you do get the package (which I personally still think is a pretty good deal for such a great tube--I've loved mine), just chuck the fins, they're trash. Get yourself a pair of diving fins. You can occasionally find a decent pair at the DI.

I have that same pump. It works great and it's quick. It came with the Uboat 2000 I picked up for my wife. I would still recommend looking around for a better deal before making the plunge, but I do think that may be pretty good based on what I've seen lately. Another factor to consider is customer service. I got a leak in one of my air bladders a while back and Cabelas switched it out for me, no questions asked. I've also heard that Creek Company has excellent service, but I've never had to deal with them because Cabelas has taken good care of me. Hopefully you'll never need to take advantage of their warranty, but if you do, you'll be glad to have spent a little more to avoid the hassle.

Also, I decided to go with the ODC over the FC4 because of the weight factor--especially since I take so much stuff out with me. It looked a little more roomy as well, but I'm not 100% sure. Just my $.02. [cool]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=417460#p417460"]Here's a link[/url] to a thread I posted a couple days ago with pics of my tricked out tube. If you decide you want to get crazy with the PVC, I highly recommend making the journey to Mecca (i.e. TubeDude's tackletorium in Taylorsville). He invited me over a while ago to help me get all set up and I don't think the fumes of the glue will ever leave my head. It's alright, though. You get used to the twitch eventually! [:p]

Good luck with whatever you choose!

P.S. TD--I hope you don't mind me inviting people over to your house like this! [Wink]
[signature]
mr JNB,
are you telling me that I could actually find that odc 420 for less than $200 in the spring/summer time?

also, the ad at cabellas makes the FT sound like a lighter version of the 420 "lightweight" in title. I just dont understand why the package would be less spensive than the single FT.

Lastly, does Tubedude have a shop in tville or he actually lives there?

NO, lastly- that is ONE CRAZY RIG you've got there! It looks like the A-TEAM and MacGuyver got backed into a corner in the local plumbing shop and came out fighting with a new battle-vehicle. Sheesh, where is the downrigger and the spreaders? I didnt see the 25 hp outboard or hoist crane for your halibut either.
LOL Serious though, nice work!
[signature]
Last season you could easily find the tube for under $130 (tube only). In the little bit of looking around I've done, it seems that since they've upped the list price, the price at Cabelas looks like one of the best around. If I were you, I'd jump on it before it goes off sale and back up to $230ish. Don't be fooled by "lightweight." It said the same thing when I bought mine (also at Cabelas, just a different color).

As for TD, he lives in Taylorsville. By tackletorium, I'm referring both to his garage and the room where he makes all his own lures and flies. Pretty amazing by anyone's standards! Fire off a pm to him and I'll bet he'd be glad to have you stop by his place to check it out. He's had tons of people go there already and is always ready to help someone whenever he can when it comes to anything fishing. Great guy, that TubeDude.

Glad you like my ride! [cool] It sure is a blast coming up with ideas and tryin 'em out like that. But I definitely can't take all the credit. Most of what I've learned has come from others who've already done the trial and error on many previous models. Take a stroll down [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=198754#p198754"]TD's memory lane [/url]on the float tubing archives board to get an idea of what I'm talking about. You'll also get lots of good info over there on comparisons/contrasts between the different models. Surely worth checking out!

As for the outboard and crane, I'm gonna have to lose a few first or I'll be fishing from a submarine! [Wink] Maybe there's a way I can design a new motor out of PVC...[angelic]

[inline "Battle Tube.jpg"]
[signature]

LOL ! DUDE ITS MCGYVER!
Ok, i have the thing on backorder now.
But I have to tell you, im looking at the fish cat 4 float tube also. If the 420 is on backorder for half my fishing season maybe I should look into the fc4?
Besides what the comparison chart says, do you or does anyone have any practical experience with both- to make a comparison of the two?

thanks man, nice chattn w you.
ps, where's your picture taken? Powell?
[signature]
Do you have it on backorder through the site or at the store? The reason I ask is if they have one in the store and it happens to not be on sale like it is on the site, they'll price match it.

As far as comparing the two goes, I haven't tried the FC4 but I know a lot of guys around here have. Hopefully they'll pipe in here in the next day or two and give you some insight. Also, be sure to look through the archives page since this isn't the first time the two have been compared. There's a couple threads that talk about these two particular tubes [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=393556#p393556"]in here[/url].

Lastly, the avatar pic is from Sand Hollow last year. My wife took it from shore. That's a great place for some bassin action!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is an authentic Creek Company tube. And, the inclusion of the other goodies is attractive. It has just been "scaled down" to shave off some weight...for those who want to pack their tubes into more remote spots. Every pound adds up on a long trek.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do not need a backpack model, I would recommend staying with the original. They don't say where they cut the weight, but I am guessing in both the cover and the bladder. I get nervous about anything to reduce the thickness of the air chamber or the protective layer over it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BFT members have collectively saved a lot of money by shopping online...like with eBay. Once you narrow your choices down to model and price range, start haunting eBay and bidding within the range you want to keep your purchase. If you get lucky you can score a good deal. Just remember, "It is better to spend a little more than you wanted than to spend NOT QUITE ENOUGH."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, as Justin suggested, I would be happy to help you get your new craft properly set up...and maybe accompany you on a shake down cruise.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
well I dont think that I want to sacrifice durability or construction. TD, if you are certain that this is a "lightweight" model, I think I will have to actually see the - sit down in the - differences between the 420 and the fc4.
Lightweight sounds good but lets face it, im not packing this into the uintahs.
I think the listing says this particular 420 is 8 lbs. How much does the standard 420 weigh? 14 lbs. How in the heck do you sacrifice one half the weight!??

TD/Justin- thanks guys. Im truly stoked for my first outing.
[signature]
Here are the links to the 2 different tubes on Creek Company's Web site:

[url "http://creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=103&Cat=2"]http://creekcompany.com/...AutoID=103&Cat=2[/url]

[url "http://creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=238&Cat=2"]http://creekcompany.com/...AutoID=238&Cat=2[/url]

Looking at the specs, here is what I can see... The standard 420 is 16lbs and light one is 8 lbs. It looks like light version does not have a PVC coating on the bottom (if you look at the enlarged version of the images you can see this by looking at the front of the pontoons, and they don't list it as a feature of the light version). The light version is also 4 inches thinner when folded. I'm not sure if that is because it doesn't have a PVC coating or if they have also made the foam seat thinner?

Anyway, I have the standard 420 and really like it. I am pushing 6'5" and 250lbs, so I bought it to get the 300 pound rating. My only complaint is the bladder valves are in the pockets. They take up space and make it so nothing lays flat.

Some people have complained about the seat's back rest not providing enough support. What happened to me was the straps would start to compress the foam more and more throughout the day. The foam would also start to wrap around my back more and more throughout the day. As a result, I was constantly needing the re-adjust the seat and tighten the straps. After my first couple trips, I cut a piece of plexi-glass to the proper size and placed it behind the foam in the back rest to provide support. I haven't had any problems since.
[signature]
Swede!

this is exactly what I was trying to find out. Too bad im not smart enough to think about checking the website.
i dont want a lightweight version. Im no tinkerbell- I wanna tank on the water.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll post photos of my fish cat 4 or 14lb odc420

Tack så mycket !!
[signature]