Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Mountain and scouts?
Can any one out there help me out with a little info? I am taking some ventuering scouts to Boulder for a camping trip the end of June. I was wondering what lake I can take them to so they have a good chance of catching some fish. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
We took some scouts a couple of years ago to Lower Bowns reservoir and caught a bunch of fish, almost every cast. They were all smaller though not like the trophey class fish you hear of in the Boulder lakes. You can drive to and camp right at the lake and it makes a good base camp. There are a bunch of lakes nearby that you can hike into, we hiked into Oak Creek reservoir for a night while we were there, beautiful lake that is supposed to have some big brookies, but we got skunked. We are going back down the in a couple of weeks with a new group should be fun. Also calf creek falls is only about 45 min drive from Lower Bowns, it is a great place to go beat the heat in the hot summer sun, do it early in the morning because ther is about a 1 1/2 hr hike along the river bed to get there but once there you can swim and play in the 120' waterfall. Good luck!
[signature]
thank you for the info i am very gratefull
[signature]
Do you want a lake that you can hike into or just drive to?
[signature]
well both really
[signature]
IF you really want to experience the Boulder Mountain, avoid Lower Bowns. I don't even classify it as being a Boulder Mountain lake. I would suggest taking the scouts to the Donkey Lake area or the Barker Lakes area. Both spots have roads right in to the lakes with numerous hike-in fishing destinations available. Both areas are also on the Mountain and are more of the high-mountain type fishing that one usually acquaints with the Boulder. Also, both areas offer lakes that can yield trophy fish that the Boulder is famous for...
[signature]
thank you very much for the info. All i new about was lower bowns so that will be great thnks again
[signature]
I would second W&B's suggestion of the Barkers/North Creek lakes. There are 10 lakes within a three-mile hike. Lots of variety, too--rainbows, brooks, Colorado River cutthroats, tigers, and a few grayling. Keep in mind that Dougherty Basin is closed until July 12.
You'll see a lot of deer, a few elk, and maybe a bear.
[signature]
amen to north creeks, and amen to donkey, but i have to suggest the area around scout lake and also if you don't want to hike 6 miles from donkey, the area around blind lake. When i was in YM and scouts, we took boulder trips 3 consecutive years. Barker is great becuase there are so many different lakes in a small area. Blind was great for the same reason, but blind has some trophy sized splake and brooks. Donkey is somewhat on it's own, there are some good fishing lakes near it but not within 2 or 3 miles. I've spent over 50 days fishing the boulder, so pm me if you have any further questions, hope this helps.
[signature]