Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
furled leaders
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Was wondering why furled leaders come in lengths of 4', 5½', 5'9"? Does one then use a longer than usual tippet? Also would gather that they hold less water than the braided leaders.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I am not the expert here.. especially with the weight of the furled leader.. but I would suspect that since they weigh more to start you would use a shorter one to get the same behavior.. and with that in mind I would also suspect that you would use a longer piece of tippet..

.. one thing I know for sure is that you can coat them with a good floatant to help them float better.. just like on a fly.. you will have to keep an eye on it and reapply floatant as needed..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi there MacFly, Are you using a furled, braided or mono leader ?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Dry Rod, I make a light Furled leader that starts off like 5' 6" but by the time I furl it it shrinks to 5'. I also make a 5' 6" and a 6'.
5 1/2' are the most popular and the 5' light for 2-4 wt with the 5 1/2' and 6' for 4-6 wt with Uni Thread 6/0. I also make them out of .005 Nylon Coats and Clarks, but recently I got some 4mm MONO THREAD. This stuff ROCKS.
I like the thread though cause it is very soft. I make and sell them. I experiment with natural color, so I DO have a CAMO. I can also add a bright color to the first section for a strike indicator.

To answer you question about tippet, if you are river nymphing, you more than likely want the furled to float for the most part which will mean LONGER tippet (3' to 6'). You can also add weight and get the whole leader to sink, just like regular leaders.
This weekend I took one of my MONO 5 1/2' leaders, put a POP TOP indicator on it and added a "V" connection of tippet with one side being 4' and the other being 1'. I have the small ring on the end of my leaders so I thread the tippet through and them make a surgeons loop just like on my flies.
I also use two different colored Chironomids, so one is now 9' deep (with the indicator set about 6" down the furled) and the second at around 6' to 7'.
It was windy and raining but I was able to roll cast this 50+' and no tangles. One other thing, I put a tiny split shot about 6" to 8" up from the bottom fly to help it sink fast.
I ended up with 4 LDR's (Long Distance Release) and one netted.

[Image: 42400.jpg]

In this case, yes the whole leader was sink, and it is awesome!
[signature]
welcome back sis.. looks like your trip had some weather but ya still got some fish.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
in most cases I use a store bought mono leader but have used furled leaders and love them.. tough.. lightweight.. easy to use..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Thanks for the feedback FGD. Where do you find the time to conduct all you activities? The next thing you will probably tell us is that you are working on a PHD in entomology. [Wink] I have a niece like you that goes none stop 18/7. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]