Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you know?
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]While surfing for information re the San Gabriel River, came across this bit of info: [/size][/#008000][/font][#000000][size 3]Fly Fishing the East Fork of the San Gabriel River San Gabriel Reservoir to the Narrows (Bridge to Nowhere) (Pamphlet) $9.99 [/size][/#000000][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I mean I have been there and cannot fathom someone deciding to write a book or pamphlet about the area. One look pretty much covers the fishing aspect. Trout are about 7-8". Someone claimed that they caught a 5 pounder there. [shocked]Yea right! [:p]Oh well.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
problem is newbies like me would probably buy that pamphlet to learn more about the area.. but then again I come here so I dont make that kind of mistake.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][cool][cool]
[center][cool][cool]
[center][cool]
[signature]
..I see ya agree with me.. .LOL...
[signature]
Hello folks,

New to this board, does anyone know avout fishing the San Gabriel Reservoir its self, and not the forks.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there shipmaster and welcome to the BFT & the Calif forum. Never did fish the reservoir just the forks. Perhaps TubeN2 might have wet a line over there. He usually checks in several times a week after a hard day of - get this fishing. BTW is this the body of water that you are talking about?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline sgr.jpg]
[signature]
Hello Dryrod,

Yep that is the place, I have past it many times heading up to Williams camp to do some prospecting. I always thought while driving by it would be a good place to drowned a worm. Anyway I was thinking of heading up there next weekend to give it a try.

Shipmaster
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey shipmaster don't forget to let us know how the fishing turned out.[fishin][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]

Of course I will post a full report, and will include GPS cords. for any hot spots I find. I sent off an e-mail to the forest service requesting any regs. above and beyond standard fish & game. Will post that also if anything comes back.
[signature]
Welcome aboard shipmaster and thanks for your question. Sorry it took so long to get back. My travels take me all over and make it difficult for a daily appearance sometimes.

San Gabriel Reservoir is a good spot for soaking a worm. If you are into fly swatting, there is more fun to be had as well.

Blue Gills, Trout, Cats and Bass make up the majority of the fish population there. There are some Blue Gill cousins too, like Green Sunfish and Red Ears too.

This is the ideal time to fish any of the Sunfish since they like the transitional water change. Bass are always friendly and willing to bite if you know just how to knock on their door.

All CDFG regs apply there. Since it is a USFG governed property, they only require that you be a good Boyscout in regards to any trash or waste generated in the area.

Be sure to bring some night crawlers and waxworms. 18 to 24inches under a bobber and hold on! You should be abel to have loads of fun.

Black or dark blue Rooster tails are also good. Those will work best shortly after 9 to 9:30 am when they stop chasing the bait.

Please feel free to ask any other questions. We are always glad to help.
[signature]
Well Folks,

Back with my fish report on this area. Drove up from Garden Grove on Sunday morning, With a quick stop at WallyWorld (Walmart for those that don't know) to get some nightcrawlers. So back on the road through old town Azusa and into the canyon.

Started getting conserned when driving by the lower Morris reservoir, water level down to half mark. Then I got to the San Gabriel reservoir, sorry to say it looked like a open pit mine, with the river barely there. So I went further up on the East fork, were I know a couple of deeper pools are in the river, around Fellows Camp. They were shallow too. Went as far up to the end of the road past Cattle bridge, nothing deep enough to support any fishing.

So all I can say is, I did not get skunked, you have to have enough water to get your line wet to get skunked.

On a good note, I took my pan out and found a nice 2 gram nugget.

So next week I am heading out on a day boat out of Newport, see if I can get something there. I think I will leave to freshwater till sringtime when I can go camping up north again.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Thanks shipmaster for the update on the San Gabriel. Been planning on heading up there but was waiting for the heat to back off and the winds calm down. Unfortunately too many bodies of water all over are much lower than the ecology can afford. My nephew called from Cypress yesterday [the Island located in the far eastern portion of the Mediterrainium] to wish me a happy birthday. He is a senior scientist for a new start up college. Anyhow he said that their reservoirs are just 2% of capacity and that they are importing fresh water from Greece. They are also building a desaltization plant. Perhaps it is time that we started doing that before we get into deep trouble.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod,

First off happpy belated birthday!

I would say it is not worth the trip up there, unless you know of some other places to wet your line on the West fork. I didn't travel up that way.

The one benefit to the reservoir being down so low. I now know the lay of the bottom, where the river runs through, where the natural shelfs are. I made a scetch of the area by the OVH playground. I will try to find a map that I can modify, and post for those that want to know about the San Gabriel reservoir.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Thanks for the greeting and also for any information that you can provide us water poor So Californians. I have some friends in my Fly Fishing Club that frequent the West fork Will ask them next week if they have been fishing that area lately.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there shipmaster as a resident of OC have you ever attended the Fly Fishing Club of OC which is held at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim. Next Thursday they are having their annual big auction. Perhaps we can hook up there sometime. I'll e-mail you a copy of the auction goodies if you are interested.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
has that list updated or is what you sent me before the whole list.. just curious.. you guys are too big for me to afford.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
Hey Dryrod,

Phoenix Club, know right where it is, only about 5 miles from my front door. Send me what you got, I think I might show up if it is open to non members. Of course I know I will be asked to join, and who knows I might just have to do that.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Sounds great. PM me your e-mail address.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center]
[signature]