Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day Camping
The trip was pretty good , Alcona Pond campgrounds , full service part of the park . My entire Michigan part of the family was there , plenty of old and new storys around the campfire . New faces were present , nephews and neices brought their boyfreinds or girlfreinds along , man I'm getting old those were just little kids a couple years ago now they are in college .

One of lifes mysterys : It took 20 minutes to set up camp , took 5 hours to pack everything up for the trip home .

Did some archery at the front gate , cut firewood on the federal land , Oh yea , small bundels of wood were $4.00 a pop for the suckers , I cut the firewood with my grand nephew (5 year old hockey goalie and outdoor nut ) , He thought that was the greatest thing to do .Whenever the firewood pile would get low he would say "Uncle Al , we got to "man up" and get some firewood so the bears will stay away ". The kids a real grin .

I took my youngest and her cousin for there first island picnic , lifetime memorys was made for them doing that . The picnic lunch consisted of sandwiches , cheese puffs , oreo's , carrots and juice drinks .

I had the river boat , a canoe and some kyacks , everyone had use of them , I had about 20 minutes of fishing time for myself , that was spent at the Alcona dam standing on the bank .

In Glennie the Ace hardware has a book for sale about all that went on about the two hunters that disapeared along with their white bronco , I was stunned to find out that the guys found guilty of the crime lived a block over from our deercamp . I just skimmed thru the paperback a little , will have to find some more time to read it .

I did some scouting for the fall hunt , my area had dozens of gypsey moth traps set out by the D.N.R. , the entire area of my hunting grounds were infested with the moth nests .I am just guessing but I think some type of study is being done in the area .

I missed a perfect BFT Video moment , at the largo springs outlook we had two juvinile bald eagles soaring 25 feet above our heads for about 5 minutes . Me just watching in awe had the video camera in hand but forgot I had it with me , it was spectacular .

The only rain we had was Sunday , 3 A.M. , just enough to water the plants .

Warm temps , perfect sleeping weather and gentle breezes filled the days and nights . Anyone that stayed at home missed a very nice camping weekend .

We had a great weekend thanks to all the vets out there , Thanks guys for all your sacrifices . Allen
[signature]
Sounds like a great weekend.

I didn't get any camping in. We stayed around home and installed a new dishwasher for her and picked up a new grill for myself. (We were stimulated by George) It only took my son and I 4 hours to put the grill together.... [crazy] but you don't really want to hear about that. [Wink] I also picked up a new seat for the boat at a rummage sale for 5 bucks so I'll be installing that and giving it a try latter on this week.

On Monday my father and I was part of a Memoirial Day ceremony up in Saginaw. We are both Desert Storm Vets and we presented the wreath for the Gulf War Vets.

Afterwards we did 9 holes of gulf on his private little 3 hole course. I was 2 strokes ahead on the 7th but the 8th hole hit me pretty hard and he ended up winning by 1. We had a cook out with all the fixins and ended the evening playing eurche out on the picnic table next to the fire pit. It was a perfect day with the exception of a few misquito bits and loosing a little hair on my legs when I got to close to the fire. [Smile]
[signature]