Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anywhere to fish and camp on shore?
Do you folks know anywhere you can camp that is close enough to the water, that I can sit at the picnic table with my wife and still watch my pole?

My wife and I are going camping (just the two of us) and I really want to get some fishing done. My wife is not a very ambitious fisherman, and if I take off somewhere to go fishing, then that would make a lonely trip for both of us.

I've been looking at maps for a while but haven't seen any campsites that close to the water. Any ideas? Thanks.
[signature]
well sure there are lot's of places like that.. but most of them still have snow on the roads.. all the lakes up fairview canyon have camping neer the water.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are some nice camp spots NEAR the SHORELINE at Jordanelle. Only problem is that the lake is still a ways from being full so you have to walk a ways.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How about getting a portable table and/or some nice camp chairs and setting up on a good spot. Bring some shade and some snackables...and don't set up too far from a "comfort station". With a little creativity and some "concessions" on each side, you should both be able to enjoy your getaway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
oh and there is PaliSades down by Manti.. picnic tables are right on the beach.. tent not fare away. some big tigers in there and lot's of DWR planter pet's as well..
[signature]
A second vote for PaliSades Reservoir. If you want to bring along your own chairs, table and etc. Electric Lake on the north end would be a good choice.
[signature]
Are you looking for established campgrounds with all the bells and whistles, i.e. firepit, picnic table, etc.?
[signature]
Yuba is always good. We camp on the beach and drop a line in not 100' from the tent.

The only problem is that there are no picnic tables and you have to walk a ways to the restrooms. Also, the wind gets real nasty and we've woken up to our tent nearly flat from the wind. The wind also makes for some tender skin with all of the sand whipping against you. Your wife might like it as a good exfoliator-just kidding, but your skin does feel softer after the beating it takes.
[signature]
[#500000]The state park at Otter Creek.[/#500000]
[signature]
I think there are about 3 or 4 camp sites at East Canyon where you could sit at the tables and be in reasonable distance to the water. They may be hard to get though. You could go online and look a tthe campground map then call to see if the one you want is taken.
The Uinta's are you best bet for real camping right on the beach. I have a few favorites where we are usually th eonly ones on the whole lake. Problem is unless you have snow shoes you probably can't get to them right now. Maybe in July.
[signature]
No one has mentioned the Uintas yet. There are several Forest service campgrounds along the Mirror lake highway that are adjacent to either lakes or the Provo river. The roadside/campside lakes are all liberally stocked by the DWR and fishing is fast. Also, if you are ambitious, you two could backpack into a remote lake and have some solitude. The scenery up there can't be beat! Now we just need the snow to melt.
[signature]
Consider Vernon. There is free camping about 3/4 of the way around the lake. Many people fish from their camp. There is a log fence around the lake so you can't camp right on the water, but you can get within about 50'. It does get pretty crouded on weekends, so go early if you want one to get one of the better sites. Also expect lots of noise from the wheeler croud.
[signature]
Starvation Reservoir has some good shore access and the lower campground has all the basics required for your spouse to have a good time. Plus you can catch some perch, bass, trout, and ?? on the nice sandy beach.

Only 2 hrs. & 20 mins for Salt Lake....
[signature]
Bear Lake East shore has "primitive" state run campgrounds right on the shore.

Logan river is another option, lot's of river side camping.
[signature]
I don't know of many that are that close, but some are close. It seems the more primative the campsite is the closer to the water up to a limit you can get.

My wife does not fish, she sits and draws or paints. My mom used to knit or crochet. Some wives prefer to read a book and ask you to get them things, "while your up".
It's all good.
Most camp areas have some fishing that you can at least walk to and set up the lawn chairs. Some you can have a camp fire. I have one of those fake LP ones, the wife loves it. Pull the car over, pull out the firepit, turn on the gas and poof, instant campfire, allowed almost anywhere, any time. Dogs, smores, cocoa.
If your wife is like mine, there will e a little down time. Naps and the like. You will have a decision to make. Use this time to fish without guilt, or take a camping nap with the wife.
As for places, I would want to know how your equipted before I recommend much.
If your in a Motorhome there are lots of roadside pulloffs where you can fish at loads of places. If your in an RV it could be harder.
[signature]
This is a great topic, especially for those of us who are not familiar with the camping amenities in Utah. I am thinking of camping (I have a tent) in about two weeks with the wife. Will there be too much snow at E-Lake? If so, is there a campground close to E lake or Huntington at a lower elevation?

And I believe you already told me Kent, but is it ok to have pets at E-Lake and the campground? These are the things I would like in a campground:
-Fire pit
-Close to a lake with trout (I don't need to be next to the lake but within 10 miles would be nice)
-Allows dogs at the campsite and the lake
-Tables would be a plus but not required
-Within 3 hours of SLC (I drive fast [Wink])

I also like the idea of paliSades, but having both E-Lake and Huntington close by seems more appealing. I know there is a golf course, but what is the area like surrounding paliSades (houses, forest, etc)? The more like a forest the better.

Cheers!
[signature]
logan canyon, second dam. its has exactly what you need, plus if you go to the first dam park there is a chance with tangling with a decent fish. they are in the slack water above second dam, but unless the two of you want to do some wading, its harder getting to them. second dam park has camping areas with picnic tables right next to the water, or at least close enough where the two of you could sit together in the shade and watch your rod... the one you fish with.... well never mind theres no way of getting around that joke heh
[signature]
As of yesterday there is still to much snow on the road to the boat ramp to E-lake.. but in 2 weeks you should be fine..

most all of E-lake is privit property. but the camp grounds on the north end are free.. in about 4 or 5 day's the road will open up to E-lake if the wether holds up..

you can have a fire there and there are some pit's others have made

you can fish from your camp site..

dog's are allowed. (i recomend ya being a good dog ower and keep it on a lesh tho)

no tables at all if ya want one ya need to bring one..

E-lake is 3 hours from SLC..

oh the area around PaliSades is mostly rocks and houses but 6 mile canyon is right there and there are lot's of places to play up there as well..
[signature]
My vote goes for East canyon on the south end. Primitive camping but it has tables and a bathroom and you can literally cast from your tent and catch slimers. My family does it every year a few times and they love it. I just have my wife drop me and the boat off at the ramp and she drives the truck to the c.g. while i drive the boat back there and park it on the bank overnight.[Smile]
[signature]
oh BTW there is no way in hell your going to get a camp site at palasiades in the next 4 weeks! the mormon pagent is going on in manti for the next 4 weeks and all the camp sites are resurved years in addvance on them weeks..

hope that helps..
[signature]
This website could be quite helpful - [url "http://www.forestcamping.com"]www.forestcamping.com[/url]. It gives info about national forest campgrounds.
A few of my favorite spots are - Currant Creek, along Huntington Creek, up on Skyline Drive, the Uintas close to U-150 and do circle hikes, just south of Richfield between it and Fish Lake, Tibble Fork and Silver Lake Flat camping at Granite Flat campground (watch for bears!), Payson Lakes, and a ton of others!
Also, check [url "http://www.recreation.gov"]www.recreation.gov[/url] for campground info and reservations.

Have fun!
[signature]