Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flavoring your own plastic worms
I've recently been having good results with tubes for bass, specifically the garlic and salt flavored Chompers variety. I've not been catching them on 5" plastic worms.

I wonder if I were to flavor a plastic worm if I would get better results. I have some Power Bait and Gulp worms that I use, but should I try flavoring a worm with garlic and salt like the Chompers tubes I've had such good results with? Conversely, I wonder if the shape of the bait itself is the reason bass have been hitting the tubes. Maybe they just like eating crayfish more than crummy old worms.

If I wanted to flavor a worm with garlic and salt, would I just stick it in a zip lock bag with some garlic salt and castor oil?
[signature]
My dad swore by bacon grease. Just a few worms at a time, soaked in a baggie.. The grease rots in a day or so, so wash off your worms when you're thru.
[signature]
You would be much better off buying a scent. You can keep them in a ziplock bag without worrying about it decaying your plastics. There are too many to list but anywhere that has fishing tackle should have scents. My favorites are Mikes' and Pro Cure.
[signature]
I keep some of my salt water plastics in a bag with garlic scent. But most times I'll put on Mega-strike. Doesn't smell as bad.Keeps forever.
[signature]
First I would look at the rig you are using are You using the same rig with the worm and the tube? If your doing it traditionally with the jig head hook on tube and the slip weight on the worm(carolina rig)that could be your difference. I usually fish my worms weightless but i'm fishing for largemouth right along the bank and in cover. but anyway if the rig is different it may be as simple as you are putting the tube in the strike zone and not the worm. If you are fishing for small mouth I would suggest A floating worm with a jig head hook and bounce it on the bottom and if that doesn't work well I just wouldn't worry about it to much as long as they are hitting the tube just stick with it a tube is a very good bait. I prefer the worm my self but i'm fishing for large mouth and hey if there hitting the tube why fix what isn't broken just keep throwing it. With some baits I might suggest changing even if your catching lots of fish to target bigger fish but a tube is not one of these it is a "big fish bait"
[signature]
It is difficult to put a "True" scent into a piece of plasit that will last for many casts.

The worms that you buy now days have the scent impregnated into them at the time of manufacturing.

From experience, I have added small pieces of sponge or even cotton at times, inside the tube and saturated it with Pro Cure scent. It seems to hold on for quite awhile and gets the job done.

You can soak certain plastics in Garlic sprays or liquids and have them be effective for sevral casts. I will somtimes soak plastics in the juice from the Berkley Gulp products. It doesn't seem to work the same way as the ones are that come from the package.

The Gulp ones seem to be like little sponges that absorb the scent. Once you let a piece of Gulp dry out, it can no longer be rejuvinated. Go figure.

Try the sponge or cotton inside of your Tubes. It has proven well for me over the years.[cool]
[signature]