Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard boat recommendation?
After another day of stuffing 3 adults into an 11 ft jon boat and cruising around with just a few inches of freeboard protruding from the water, I have decided it is time to get serious about a new boat. This is the first year I have fished Willard, and I have had some days of rough sea that I never experienced while fishing my normal local hideouts.

Here is the predicament: I have room for, funds for, and wife's patience enough for, one boat. I will be using the boat for both fishing and waterfowl hunting (equally).

The small jon boat has been great for both until I discovered Willard. I don't understand it, but a few days ago I was out there and the wind could not have been blowing 7MPH and the waves were getting big! I am happy with the boat I have except for the safety factor. There is very little freeboard keeping water from spilling in over the rim... and much less if a fish gets hooked and someone leans to one side to net it. It also rides very rough and slaps the water if there are any waves, especially if I am alone in the back of the boat. Sometimes to the point that I am afraid I am going to pop a rivet and end up having to swim to the island buoy.

My hope is that I can get a bigger jon boat (14-16 feet) and gain some freeboard for safety, smooth out the ride, and have a rig that will work for both fishing and waterfowl. I am willing to give up some of the comforts of a fishing-specific vessel to have a good waterfowl rig.

If you have any experience with my situation please let me know. Also, if you have a 14-16 foot jon boat please PM me so I can ask you a few questions about how they handle on the water and what to look for. Thanks.
[signature]
looke at lund G3's thats probably going to be the best one for both by the way stop going to willard and over loading your boat!! You can drown on that lake in a big boat your just lucky you haven't got into anything seriouse yet.
[signature]
my bad about the lund G3 its not made by lund its made by Yamaha just look up G3 boats then check the lake john section sweet boat for boath aplications!
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the G3. They look sweet! I am still hoping to hear from someone who owns a bigger jon boat about how they are in the chop.
[signature]
The way a boat rides in chop is all about the dead rise in degrees at the keel line. Jon boats are flat bottomed= 0' dead rise at the keel. They punish you in rough water but are real efficient to push throught the water with minimal horse power. A moderate dead rise of 8 to 12 degrees gives you a better ride with out displacing so much water but takes more power to get through the water. Them there is the deep vees for the rough stuff. 18 degrees dead rise give a great ride but takes a lot of power to plane and runs way deeper. I would keep the jon boat for duck hunting. Find a good deal on a used boat and use the motors you have to troll and run the boat. If your going to spend some time fishing Willard get one with more freeboard to help keep more sides out of the water when you load up. Good luck with your quest. RF
[signature]
One of my duck hunting buddies bought a nice Limited Edition Mud Buddy 16' semi v/flat bottom with a 35hp surface drive. He paid alot for the whole thing but if you put a kicker on it, it would be a sweet duck/fish boat. It also has very deep sides and does like 33 mph loaded with dekes.[Wink]
[signature]
reelfast, thanks for the info on chop. That helps me understand what is going on. I have seen some jon boats with a modified v hull... they still seem to be flat on the bottom, but have the v in the front. That might be a good inbetween for me. I like your idea of keeping the small jon and getting a v hull for fishing. It would still be ideal for me if I can get something that will work for both. Even if I have to compromise on performance a little. I don't have a lot of room for toys.
[signature]
I have a 1474 semi-v that I used to fish out of. Only took one time swamping it in a storm at Willard to decide to keep it for duck hunting only. Bought a 16' Lund for fishing and it still feels a little small at Willard. That place turns nasty quick when the wind picks up.
[signature]
Hey I agree I used to be a good swimmer but too old for that now. At least get a boat that you only have to worry about gortex to keep you dry and life jackets to keep it legal. One unfortuneate incident can ruin a life time of sweet fishing memories. Get the safe hull first then get the faster motor to push it later. I would tow it to the lake with junk to have as much boat as I could. We will remember the fishing trips long after the truck has faded.RF
[signature]
lunkerhunter2, do you know what kind of jon boat your friend's is with the mud buddy motor on it? I just googled mud buddy to see if they had any jon boat links and found a funny jon boat video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocJH9PZhec

If the boat can handle that I shouldn't have much prob at Willard[Wink]

But seriously, I do think that I will end up getting another jon boat as long as I can find one with deeper sides. Also when you refer to a "kicker" are we just talking about an outboard? Thanks.
[signature]
Hey if your interested swing by the house and check mine out. It rides great in the waves and I can get it in a little less than 3 feet of water. Also Brian has been looking around for a boat for Anthony and has found quite a few nice ones. Give him a call.
[signature]
I have a 14' Jon boat rigged for bass fishing which has a 34" beam. I power it with a 25 hp Mercury. It is a little overpowered but is rated for a 20 hp. I added reinforcement to the transom. It trolls down to 1.5 mph and cruises at 25-30 mph. I put a raised floor in the front and a seat on a pedestal with foot controlled trolling motor. Mine has a built in live well with aerator and pump. It is basically a one man boat, but two adults can fish safely. I have fished in this boat in most Utah lakes. I have had the boat for over 25 years. It is a well built Alum Craft.
I fish Willard also but really watch the wind. I never take chances....Willard can really get rough in a short time. Small Jon boats are not made for rough water.
I am too looking a new boat. I want a 15-16 ft fiber glass boat in the 80's. I'm guessing I will have to pay $3000-$4000 for what I want.
If money is a problem (which it is for most of us) the next boat to consider would be a 14 or 15 foot V-Bottom aluminum boat. I see a good number of them on Willard and they can be fixed up really nice. I have a friend who has one and it makes a safe and great fishing boat. A 15 to 20 hp motor is recommended although a 9.8 works petty good. They can handle three adults safely.
If you like the Jon boats I would go with a 15.5 or 16 foot. They have higher sides and a wider beam. I too like the G3s, but like the V bottom boats better. I looked at a 14' and they look really well built. I think you could find a good used one (not G3) and save some money.
If you have further questions write. I’m having surgery today and will be in hospital over night, so I probably will not be able to respond until maybe Wednesday.
Good Fishing...and boat hunting.
[signature]
That is the same boat he bought but with a few upgrades and a couple feet longer i think. It is an awesome well built boat.[Wink]
[signature]