Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing the strength of your knot
[#400080][size 2]Everyone has a knot that they think is the best knot. That includes me. But through imperical testing on the river and at the house I know that some knots I just can't tie to be consistantly strong as what someone else can. I presume that may be the case with you, too.[/size][/#400080]
[#400080][size 2][/size][/#400080]
[#400080][size 2]I also have demonstrated this through doing relative knot strength tests. [/size][/#400080]
[#400080][size 2]This test can be done with very little stuff and I am 99% sure that you have it all at your house right now so you can test your own knots.[/size][/#400080]
[#400080][size 2]Here is a page I have had on the net for some years now explains the test. I update it periodically with additional sample results I have done. The page has lots of links to various knots detailed on various websites. Most of the websites also have details to lots of other Knots that you might want to know about. ...... Or Knot.[/size][/#400080]

[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Documents/knottest.htm"]Knot Tug of Wars[/url]
[signature]
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Good reference material Scruffy_Fly. The one problem with lengthy articles is that by the time I get to the end I forgot what I just read.[Wink] Anywho - I'm inclined to believe that a knot should be tested for the sudden surge in tension. Unless one is pulling from the butt to retrieve a fly captured by the grass or log Gods a steady pull won't [I don't think] provide one with the information that I maybe seeking. I have conducted several bench tests of various knots and what I really look for is for the line or knot to break. If I have that little pig tail effect then I have to review my tying skills. I believe that if the knot is tied correctly it will break under considerable effort versus unraveling with less effort. The last time out I used the Davy exclusively and only had one pig tail scenario. Obviously the tier goofed. [blush] BTW I can tie just about any knot properly in my easy chair or at my work bench however, once on the water I need to tie a simple knot being visually impaired and lacking a delicate touch to tie anything more complex than a Davy knot. Only you seniors can appreciate where I am coming from. Good subject SF.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
The tests that give a strength measurement and rating as a percentage of material strength are done on machines that make a steady pull not a jerk.

Some of my test are done with a jerk some with a smooth pull. I see that in my last few tests I forgot to add that I did a jerk pull.

The Davy Knot - That is a knot that this Davy guy can not consistantly tie with good results even sitting in an easy chair. Some hold well but sometimes they let go way to easily both on the water and in the chair. I am glad that you are more adept at it than I.

My sample results are there for my own use more than anything. it is a place where I can store them and if someone finds them useful well that is good too.

I tried to make the information long so that people could take a snooze while reading it on the internet. I see that you had a mini vacation there. Well, that is good too.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]I always have a piece of fine cord and a metal ring sitting next to me while watching TV. I try to tie various knots while my eyes are on the boob tube and not the knot itself. Maybe I should practice that procedure with some tippet material instead of using a heavier material that I can actually feel between my fingers. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
yeah, raise that frustration level. Try 5x with size 18 hook. It is amazing how much harder a knot is to manuplate in 5x than 3x.

Try it with 3x it is relatively well behaved since it is stiffer. You can detect it with your fingers a lot easier,also.
[signature]