Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Driftboating Report
I went last night with Steelfisher and my son for a quick trip to Henrys. The idea was to troll flies in the Wildrose or Hatchery Hole using an electric motor on Steelfishers drift boat.

We got to the lake at about 5:00PM, but we were met with huge winds and heavy rain. We decided to wait out the storm before venturing out onto the lake. While we were waiting we went to the county boat dock to see if the fish were still in close. There were still hundreds of fish in close but they were packed into a small area and we did not feel like combat fishing. We did throw in for a couple of minutes and I got a small cutt. The people who were successful were using dry lines and small nymphs off of indicators. They were just basically bobber fishing with flies and waiting out the fish who were not really feeding.

Finally the wind died down a little and we launched near pintail point. The fishing started out fast with a fish ripping line from my sons rod but quickly snapped him off. The rest of the fish we caught were quite small by Henrys standards. We never did get into them thick, but we managed to pick up 5 fish with 4 of them being small hybrids the other was a small cutt. We did not see anyone else really getting into them either.

Even though the fishing was not red hot it was fun trolling flies from the drift boat. I was grateful the wind died down enough to give us a couple hours on the water and a few beautiful fish.

All in all it ended up being beautiful scenery with great company. Here are a few pics of the evening.

[inline SteelfisherHenrys.jpg]

[inline SteelfisherHenrys#2.jpg]

[inline SteelfisherHenrys#3.jpg]

[inline SteelfisherHenrys#4.jpg]

Good Luck To All Who Venture Out This Weekend

Windriver
[signature]
BOBBER FISHING, is what I call deep nymphing. Becoming more popular. The indicator is meant to keep the fly suspended. Bought the only way you can do that from shore.
You say you trolled, what fly? I will troll till I find the fish and then I can tell what depth. I do have sonar, but as you all know they work with a cone. The deeper, the bigger the range. Well, Henry's is around 28' at deepest, so you never get a big range. I found trolling helps a great deal.
[signature]
We were using olive crystal buggers and copper crystal buggers. I tried a purple showgirl for a while but no luck.

Windriver
[signature]
The showgirl works better at Strawberry than Henry's but I know BILL likes it. Just my experience.
I heard the BLACK is working great. I do well with the MIGHTY MOUSE and the HOT CHOCOLATE.
Something about Black and Burnt Orange. I use a GARTSIDE in Black and Burnt Orange and it does so well, BS Flies came up withe a new and improved version that is suppose to be on the market this year.
All my friends did killer with OLIVE scuds deep nymphing.
[signature]
I went back to Henry's Saturday with some co-workers and fished between the county boat dock and Staleys. The dock fishermen were still catching alot of cutts, those fish have been getting hammered for two weeks. We didn't join them but we also didn't have the fast fishing they were having either. We managed a couple of good hybrids with a really good one that broke off. The weather was cold and the wind really came up around noon. We left after eating lunch. I guess we need to try the deep nymphing because the leech fishing was slow. Another note the midges are starting to hatch so that could slow the fishing even more.
[signature]