Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sturgeon fishing
i do a lot of sturgeon fishing at cj strike, i hook up a lot but most seem to shake me. the ones that don't shake me, brake off- (i use 60lb trilene big game but it still gets torn up in the rocks.) any suggestions on how to keep them hooked and keep the line from getting freyed so badly
[signature]
I would send a PM to Kentofnsl. He is a moderator on the Utah board, but he fish for sturgeon in Idaho quite often.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
CJ is like that. If the fish gets into the trough, it rubs you off on the rocks.
As far as the shaking off, you must anticipate the jump. Watch your line, when where it enters the water starts to move twords the fish, it is coming up to jump. Raise your rod tip and try to keep the line tight.
Are you connecting your sinker with a short piece of line to the swivel? This helps to make it so the fish cannot use the leverage of the sinker swinging around less useful to the fish.
I have stopped fishing CJ because of the rocks. I prefer Salmon Falls Dam. The bottom is cleaner with less hang ups.
[signature]
thanks for the tips, i'm heading out this tuesday and wednesday again. hopefully i can land a few[Wink]
[signature]
Good luck when you go! Post some pics if you get any. Sturgeon are one of my favorite fish!
[signature]
here they are, i caught 3 sturgeon- got pics of two of them. they were pretty small 5-6 feet but they still were a fun fight [Wink]
thanks for the help everyone!
-basskikker
[signature]
Well, sounds like you could give us a few tips now. Nice job. 5-6 ft is not small. Not hue, but for sure not small, Keep it up, there are 8's and a few 10's in that area.

One thing, I'm on dial-up and if you could resize your photos to like 100K or so, I could look at them.
[signature]