Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming a GUIDE
Hey guys - I don't mean to clutter up the message board but was wondering if anyone knew what it took to become a guide. I am unemployed because of some unfortunate circumstances and am toying with the idea of being a guide this summer, although I really don't know very much about what that entails. Does anyone know general information about what it takes as well as some possible people I could get in contact with? Sorry if this seems like a personal ad - but it would be a dream to be a guide for a few months here.
[signature]
Utah doesn't require any type of certification or license. You can always check with Sundance, or any of the local shops around town and see if anyone is hiring or has part time work.

I have a friend who's wife worked for Sundance and he picked up work when there was too much for the regular guides to handle. My buddy is a good fly fisherman but not anything great, so I'm sure if you have some skills you can make it happen.

Schlitz-
[signature]

What Schlitz said, in Utah you don't need any kind of licensing, I guided two years ago for Western Trout Expeditions and it was alot of fun, no time anymore though. I would check with Western Rivers and some local shops to see if anyone is hiring. Also a thought is to put an ad in KSL.com classifieds and see if you get some takers.
[signature]
i looked into this back in CO. i had a few things that helped put me ahead of a other candidates...

i was swift water rescue certified, CPR instructor certified, EMT certified ( military EMT certification is different then civvy EMT, but it covers the basics plus alot more). although i did not get my choice of follow ons from my remote tour i dropped out. Ark Anglers (the people i was applying for the job through) said the certifications i had put me at the top. if you would like to try to get at the least swift water rescue certified, contact your county search and rescue, usually ran through sheriffs dept. and ask what it costs. i believe it is still very very expensive (mine was free via the military, i was a river rafting guide in cali for my post) lasts for a while, and well worth the one week classroom and one week on river course. just my two cents.
[signature]
Do you have a boat? If so you should go out and guide on the green. The river out there isn't clogged enough with guides and their boats.
[signature]
You do have to be certified to guide the Green. While guiding at Falcon's Ledge, I had to have a certified CPR and ADA license. Good thing to have!
You have to have some knowledge of the area and some entamology.
Be good with people. Having a name in the FF circuit helps.
I have checked Western Rivers and they seem good for now. I was also on a back-up for Four Seasons. Now I guise for Fly Drifters of Utah.
Guiding for a company is the only way to go unless you have a lot of gear.
[signature]
Rocky Mountain Outfitters are the guiding group that works out of Sundance. They are normally always looking for guides. They have a lot of turn over, a lot of guys like to work for them and a lot don't so there are normally some openings. Also Trout Bum2 in park city has in general a hard time staffing their shop for the summer. You can start in the shop and take some trips when they come up. That is how most guides get into the business. A lot of shops and guides don’t like the Trout Bum2 guys so if you care about what others say then you might not want to look to this group, if not then go for it. Hope this helps.
[signature]
There are guide schools which cost around a grand for a two week class.
[signature]
plus liability insurance, plus a flyshop that has trip permits from the state down a river..(In Idaho and Montana for sure) that give them to there guides in prioritys.
[signature]