Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stansbury Park from the bank this morning
Fished stansbury park this morning and had some good luck. The bass were against the banks and cruising the shoreline. I wacky rigged a senko weightless and used the overhanging tree limbs. I put my line out over the treelimbs hanging over the water and and crouched back in the bushes out of sight. I would bring the senko near the top and twitch it. This worked great on the 4 lb bass that engulfed it and then followed by a couple of 3 pounders. Not bad for a hour of fishing. I watched every fish that hit my senko....It looks like they are putting blue/green dye in the water. It looks fake. I let all the fish go to be caught another day...... I met a guy and his girl putting a small jon boat in the water and he said he has been catching lots of bass. Since I live in Tooele, I will be hitting stansbury more often when i dont have time to take the boat anywhere....
[signature]
Isn't Stany closed to anyone but residents? Nice fish. Keep it up. A lot of bigger fish in there, too. Don't be bashful keeping a few from there, though. No one ever does. It's a spring fed lake, hence the blue/green coloration. It'd be aweful hard to dye that much water lol
[signature]
I was told you can bank fish it but if you are in a boat it must have a sticker from the stansbury park board commitee(u must be a resident of stansbury for that sticker) , I saw two of those today on the two boats that put in next to me... The first guy I talked to said they were putting dye in the water..... sure looked like dye to me.... I am pretty sure anyone can fish the banks......
[signature]
I'll have to call my friend who lives out there. Hopefully they've changed it. Last year only one branch was open, and the rest of the lake was no tresspassing except for residents.

It's not dye. For sure. Go out there in January. It's even deeper and darker. I've fished where the springs come in, too, that same color.
[signature]
There are two bodies of water out here, Stasbury Lake and the Mill Pond. The Mill Pond is the spring fed body of water to the east (it never freezes in the winter). Stansbury Lake is the Manmade lake that is fed by run off from the pond (kinda spring fed also).
On Stansbury Lake it is for "residents only" and if you are caught fishing on it, it is considered tresspassing (there is a sign that explains this at the top of the boat ramp, and every other public access point on the lake).

So it is not OK to "bank fish" it.

The Stansbury Park web site states that no fishing license is required for "residents" to fish "Stansbury Lake" (because it is a private lake) but a fishing license IS required for the Mill Pond. I think that is because the Mill Pond is not private property and anyone should be able to fish it (If I am reading between the lines correctly).

I, Myself, will not be frisking anybody, to have a look at their drivers license to prove they live here, but the TCSO Deputies just might.
[signature]
That's what I thought. Guess things don't change for the better Sad

Mill pond enters the main lake, though, if they haven't changed it from years ago. Might have. It's litterally been since I was 10 years old that I've walked all the way down from the springs to the ramps. Mill pond is rather shallow, though. Filled with carp, too. Not too good this time of year for sure.
[signature]
I live out here, and yes, you have to be a resident to fish here. I have seen a lot of non-residents fish it, and don't necessarily have issues with it, but if they start doing stupid stuff, I'll be the first one to call em in.

As far as the "dye" The lake is in no way shape or form that blue. They treat it each year with chemicals to stunt the growth of the weeds caused by all of the fertilizer in the area. That is what gives it the blue color, and it dissipates as the year goes on.

Weightless wacky senko is hard to beat out here, but frog fly patterns in the early AM works great too.
[signature]
They also have a big yellow monster looking thing that moes the underwater vegitation. I think they try to stay away from treating it with chemicals.
[signature]
The city council approved $100,000 toward the lake for weed treatment. The big monster and chemicals.
[signature]
well i guess i will stay away then.....
[signature]
Sounds like all had a great day. That was probably a good fight with the Flyrod.
[signature]
Guess they dyed it 10 plus years ago too, then. Weird. Figured it was the springs, just like out at blue lakes.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Copper sulfate is used by many "community lakes" around the country for the control of algae and water weeds. In the proper doses it does check unwanted growth without killing fish. Some communities DO use it to enhance the appearance of their lakes as well as for the vegetation control.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The downside, for the fishermen, is that weeds are good for fish. Eliminating greenery reduces oxygen, eliminates habitat for aquatic insects and reduces protective cover for naturally spawned young fish. The larger fish also like the weeds for cover and sructure. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Which city council? I was not aware that Stansbury had incorporated?
[signature]
Sweet. Copper Sulfate is also a common treatment for fish diseases such as ich, gill flukes and other internal/external parasites. Catch and cook boys and girls. Them fish are disease free! lmao!
[signature]
Well this is just what I understand and correct me if I am wrong but tooele are residents of stansbury because stansbury is not a city or a town so it is a part of tooele... so I dont know why it would ever be a big deal to fish there
[signature]