Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damsel
I was fishing the pond yesterday and right next to my pack was a Damsel Nymph. It was a PALE OLIVE ( I have also seen them in gray and pale brown) and about an inch long.
I have several NYMPH patterns for this bug, but I wanted something that really wiggled.

Here is the Damsel Nymph;

[inline damselflynymph.jpg]

Here is what I came up with:

[inline "Damsel 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice bug. That doesn't look like a Vosseler though... hmmm
[signature]
Just a little display vise. The thing is about 4" tall and the jaw section about an inch or two. So, now you get an idea of what size fly. The hook is a 14 scud.
It was given life on the Vosseler[laugh]
[signature]
Great looking bug! I just might give that a try up at Strawberry in a couple of weeks if the weather decides to warm up and get the bugs moving. Last year there were a lot of olive damsels wiggling around just under the surface during the last week or so of June. I didn't have a pattern that would imitate the way they wiggle. Thanks for passing along the picture.
[signature]
Easy fly also. Just Ostrich. I put chain eyes on but the green dumbell would be killer, I just can't find mine, WAIT! I think I just remembered![Tongue]
[signature]
Here's a damsel tie that I have found to be quite productive. I will use different tail materials to get a "wiggle" from the fly.

I tie it with black plastic eyes.
[signature]
I agree that is a winner there saber. In that Spetramize dubbing, KILLER.
I have been using this new one lately and WOW! I should try switching when the bite is on this and see how it fairs with the one you posted, but it is always that "If it ain't broke don't fix it thing"
[signature]
I have tried using damsel at Strawberry without much success. Do you fish them just under the surface or do you fish them down near the bottom. Stripping or just twiching?

For those of us that do not tie flies, where would you find a good selection of damsel flies?

Thanks
[signature]
I don't think I have and I am not sure why I haven't.
There is some Lakes Up North that Damsels are killer on. Even Jordanelle.
As far as good flies, I have nothing against Sportsmens flies and I buy many, but I think the specialty shops like Western River and Fish Tech have a better more technical selection. Plus Tube Dud here at BFT ties commercially.

Now fishing them, I use a Type II and an Intermediate. I have caught fish on them off the bottom and in between. The Pond I am using a TYPE II Wet Cell and they are Slamming it. I have even caught fish using DEPTH CHARGE line and a Damsel as a dropper. When they are active, they can be anywhere in the column, but there is also tons of them.
[signature]
I am always tying new variations of damsels. Recently I was given some of Bob Towbridges damsels. Day in and Day out Jeff Brooks Golden Damsel just seems to out fish them all. A lot of it I really believe is that I had extreme days with them and I really believe every cast is going to pick up a fish.
[signature]