Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yankee meadows
Anybody know what kind of flies/lures to use at Yankee Meadows this Monday or Saturday? Particularly for brook trout, but also for rainbows?
[signature]
First take notice of what is hatching. I would say a BWO or midge pattern would work, but for brookies try something with red in it. Like a renagade or royal wolf. If you are fly fishing try a sinking line type 2 and work some egg sucking leaches black and red.
[signature]
you can't go wrong with a wooly bugger . .

sm
[signature]
You might try some eggs or the San Juan Worms up there. Find out and tell me and I will see you there this weekend!
[signature]
If you don't catch fish go back to the basics and you'll end up hooking a couple and maybe find a killer pattern.
[signature]
I went to Yankee on Monday, and the fishing was crap. I wouldn't go there again, at least not with Kolob hot like it is. I only had one fish on, and it was about 8 inches, and it was a rainbow. I didn't even land it since the tube jig was too big for him, even though I was using a small size. Imagine that!
[signature]
I dunno, it's pretty tought to beat Kolob. I bet the fish aren't as big even if they're biting as much.
[signature]
I've fished all these lakes 6 or more times already this year and I'd say hands down Kolob has the better fishing but if your looking for some place to take the kids than Yankee or Red Creek.

Anybody seen the spawn start yet at Red Creek.
[signature]
The brook trout up at Yankee look more like spake than a brook. The biggest fish we've pulled out is a 20" brook around 4 pounds which was released for another day.

Yankee Rainbows 8-16" Cuts 8-12" Brooks 8-14"

Red Creek Rainbows 8-18"

Kolob Rainbows 14-18" Cuts are well you know not really there.
[signature]
I bet it's near starting since ice out occured 2-3 months ago.
[signature]
I tried a royal wulff and didn't even have a strike, and also an egg sucking leech, nothing. Do those usually work? I've only caught small brookies out of a lake, and that was on a worm fished along the banks in the boulders, so I'm not quite sure how to lake fish for them. I've only caught rainbows, sunfish, perch, and bass out of lakes, except that one time in the boulders.
[signature]
mm, no way on the 2-3 months ice-out . . . i was at yankee meadows april 12 - total ice . . here was my report with pics . .

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=38293"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=38293[/url]

2nd pic down shows yankee iced over with snow . . . paragonnah might be a a couple a weeks or so. maybe a month at the most before yankee , but not more than that, methinks . .

sm
[signature]
Well, I dunno, I'm not too good at guestimating. All I know is that I fished there before I heard that Kolob was open. I know for sure that it was open before Yankee Meadows by a little ways, and Yankee is cleared off. but I know that it's been long enough that they should start spawning by now at least.
[signature]
i hear its really nice then, ill PM you know if i hear anything !@@!

sm
[signature]
I was fishing all three res. during Ice out. Red Creek was the first to then Yankee and last of all Kolob. Red creek iced out around april 10. Yankee two weeks later. Kolob a week later. Yankee and Kolob get around 18 to 24 inches of ice so they have ice longer. Red creek ice out is earlier because of the flows coming in to the res.

I still was to know if the fish have started spawning at Red Creek. Kolob and Yankee don't really have a spawn but the fish try.
[signature]
Ice out for me is when I can catch fish from shore. I don't really care if the lake is completely de iced. I've pulled out over a 1000 fish from Yankee since January so don't tell me the brooks are all 16" I know better. They average around 12-14 some bigger some smaller. Red creek was hot during Ice off and since then the fish have gotten smaller and harder to catch. They averaged around 16-18 for that first week and now average around 14 or less. You can catch some bigger but those big fish have already made their runs and are crushing the shores. People bait fishing were catching last years fingerlings 8-10 inch rainbows. I take it that you've caught one of those 24+ inch fish so post the picture. If I want big fish I'll go to a big fish lake like Minersville not some mud bogging road with 3 feet ruts all the way and when you finally get there fight for some elbow room.
[signature]
well said.
[signature]
I've already seen that fish and it's nice but you forget how long ago it was caught. That fish has been their for atleast 6 years probable more. Red creek about 4 years ago you could go up and almost have the lake to yourself. I was up there during memorial weekend with a couple of friends and their families and we had the entire inlet all to ourselves.

So did you catch one of those 24+ rainbows. I didn't think so. Take a tape next time.
[signature]
HD, I know PBH very well and yes he has caught some huge fish out of Paragonah(Red Creek) and I have seen some of the brookies he catches from Yankee they do exceed the 12-14 inch fish you are catching. One more thing just because the fish you are catching are small do not asume everyone else on the water is catching the same size. Different bates/lures/flies catch different fish if you were as seasoned an angler as you claim to be you would realize this.
[signature]
[size 1]I don't mean to sound like a A@# but what you just said was ignorant. Maybe you should reread the posts.[/size]

[size 1]Yankee Rainbows 8-16" Cuts 8-12" Brooks 8-14"

Red Creek Rainbows 8-18"

Kolob Rainbows 14-18" Cuts are well you know not really there. [/size]

[size 1]This is averages of around a thousand fish caught and released from Yankee since January. I couldn't even guess how many fish I've caught in the other two. I've put many long days fishing and I weight and tape just about every fish. I didn't say that he or anybody else wasn't catching bigger fish I replied to his statement of "all about 16". I've released some around 20". [/size]

[size 1]I've caught some big fish out of Red Creek to but I asked if he caught one of those 24" fish from the reply I assumed it was NO. I haven't hooked one and with that fish in Garts it doesn't mean the lake is full of them. [/size]

[size 1]One mans big fish is anothers minnow. One good day of fishing is a slow day for another. I'm sure you realize this.[/size]

[size 1]Maybe next time pick your words a little more carefully. This is my last post. I don't need some weekend warriors to tell me I don't know $#!^.[/size]
[signature]