Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingfish Today
[font "Times New Roman"]Today I had the pleasure of taking out Frank Laurent and his son’s Andre and David offshore Port Canaveral in search of King Mackeral. The beach has been void of pogies for about a week now, so using the sabiki rig for catching live bait was the order of the day. However, it too was scarce for some unknown reason. We were able to catch enough to head offshore, so after several stops along the buoy line, we headed south east to Pelican Flats.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] The first location I stopped wasn’t happing, so I ran up north a couple of miles and redeployed the baits. Within a couple of minutes, both surface baits got hit. David was the lucky one, his fish was bigger than his brothers fish of 12 lbs, his was 30lbs. After rebaiting, it took about 15-20 minutes for both surface lines to get hooked up again. Well, now it was Dad’s turn to fight a fish. David grabbed the second rod and it turned out to be another big King about 27lbs. So we had 2 double hook-ups and landed them all. The last fish was a small king, so we let it go.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] It was getting time to go, and we had an hour’s run ahead of us, so lines in and away we went. We checked out the beach for about ½ hour looking for Tarpon, but only saw 1 and it had no interest in our baits. The seas this morning were like a washing machine on the way out, but the return trip in was real nice as the wind had shifted around to the NE and laid down to almost flat calm. Water temperature was 78f, and it’s only going to warm up even more in the coming weeks. While Dolphin fishing offshore on Friday, we found water temps of 82f about 35 miles out. Till the next report, C- Ya, From Capt Bob [Image: Laurent_family_small_copy.JPG][/font]
[signature]