Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Fork of Snake-Report
Steelfisher invited me to float the N. fork in his drift boat today. Incidentally it was my first time floating a river from a drift boat. Thanks Steelfisher for a great time.

Now for the report. We started off with high hopes for a freak late salmon fly hatch. It did not happen. We only found a few adults still around the river. After that we tried about every thing in the book from pheasant tails, princes, stonefly nymphs, caddis emergeres, hares ears etc... Steelfisher even tried several different streamer patterns to no avail. We did get a few babies to go on small caddis patterns. After we figured out that the flyfishing was not going to happen we got serious and pulled out the garden hackle. [angelic] It was still pretty slow but we managed to bring in a few smaller fish. I had a big one on but as the old story goes, he went airborn and snapped my line. Steelfisher also caught a few on panther martins to finish out the day.

Overall it was slow fishing but we were not skunked and With the big one that got away I had enough excitement to make we want to go back.

The water was still a little high and stained.

I also managed to row the boat without taking out any guides or their clients. That in and of itself is a success.

Windriver
[signature]