Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake River Sturgeon
I spent Saturday with a guide on the Snake River about 40 west of Jerome, Idaho. Even though this is supposed to be a Utah forum, I'm posting here since I'm from Salt Lake. Sturgeon fishing always sounded fun, and we had talked about doing it for years, we finally pulled the trigger this weekend and had a blast. The biggest of the day (caught by yours truly) was 6'4" and approx. 230 pounds. The smallest we caught was 54" and 125 pounds. Five of us went and we landed 4, we had several others on, but lost them. I can't wait to go again, but at $200/day, it won't be to often unless I can talk my wife into an aluminum jetboat or a second job.

Hill-billy marlin kick butt!
[signature]
Great report. I've always wanted to do that myself. Any pictures?????

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
That is great, Do you have any info on the outfitter you went with? I have been interested in catching 100 yr old fish.
[signature]
[Image: C:\WINNT\Profiles\summersw\Desktop\114-1440_IMG.JPG]I guess I don't know how to post JPEG's, I'm looking for help.[Image: C:\WINNT\Profiles\summersw\Desktop\114-1440_IMG.JPG]

[Image: C:\WINNT\Profiles\summersw\Desktop\114-1439_IMG.JPG] The outfitter is Tim Thomason, [url "http://www.thomasonoutfitters.com"]www.thomasonoutfitters.com[/url]

It was a first class operation, great boat, good equipment and a knowledgeable guide. I'll be using him again.
[signature]
One of these days I'm going to go . Would love to hook a 6 ' fish .
[signature]
Hey what if we plan a BFT fishing trip. eh anybody? My response is the samw always wanted to catch a sturgeon. More than anything to have a mount of a sweet looking sturgeon. Of course i would take a pic and have a replica done no way would i kill a fish that old.
[signature]
That sounds like a great time and it was less than a buck a pound.
[signature]
There is a post on the Utah 'For sale board' about a sturgeon fishing trip, but it cose more than $200.00 WH2
[signature]
It is not necessary to hire a guide and spend a fortune to catch sturgeon in Idaho. I have accumulated some detailed information on where and how to catch them on a shoe string. If one or two of you men (sorry, but my wife frowns on me fishing with the ladies alone) are SERIOUSLY interested in joining me for a leave early Thursday or Friday morning -- camp out and return late Saturday evening trip -- I'll provide the boat if you will share the expenses -- send me a PM and we'll see about scheduling a trip up there.

PS - Xman I understand that is illegal to keep a sturgeon in Idaho, so everyone becomes a catch and release fisherman. Like yourself, I would never want to keep one of those huge magnificient fish.
[signature]
Kent is correct. There is decent fishing without hiring a guide, and it is only catch and release in Idaho. Being my first try, I really did not know what to expect, so I'm glad I used a guide. There are a few things you should know about releasing the dinosaur fish though. It will kill them if you lift them out of the water, they have a soft skeleton and will suffer terminal internal damage. I was also not sure what type of equipment would be best. The guide provided 11' poles and Penn 330 reels with 350 yards of 50 lb test on them. I would be comfortable fishing for them on my own next time, but I have to tell you, the ride on that 29', 800 horsepower jetboat was almost worth the price of admission.

I couldn't get a picture to post on here, but here is a link to my webpage. Click on the highlight link. Feel free to look at the photos section if you are in there, mostly just family fishing photos though-nothing to dramatic.

[url "http://home.att.net/~summers.william/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html"]http://home.att.net/~summers.william/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html[/url]

Bill
[signature]
If you are going this week, I can't make it but if you are going at a later date or making a second trip I would love to catch one of those monsters. It sounds like it will take some heavy duty gear to catch one of those big boys, what kind of set up do you have Kent? WH2
[signature]
It won't be for a few weeks. I believe I have a tough enough rod, not sure if my Abu Garcia Winch reel is up to the task or not.
[signature]