Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making large plastic lures float
Hey folks,

I'm trying to make large plastic (plastisol) lures for musky and pike. Because they are large, I am using two treble hooks attached to a wire that runs through the lure. With that extra metal hardware, the lures sink. I want to make them float or at least neutrally buoyant. I've added the "floater bubbles" and they help but it still isn't enough. Should I add cork, styrofoam, or ??????
Also, any advise on how to attach the hooks on these large baits would be great. These large plastic lure are much more complicated than the smaller ones!
I appreciate any advise.

TMR
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is tough to get a plastic bait to float well, even with bubbles in the plastic mix. When you add "heavy metal"...like wire and big trebles...you are pretty much not going to get it to float without adding extra floatation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometimes a floating bait is the most exciting way to fish, and sometimes it is the most effective way to fish. But, if you have a non-floating plastic, do the next best thing, reel it fast enough to keep it on or near the surface. Unless you plan to fish it like a popper, you should be able to keep it near the top by retrieving as soon as it hits the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of times that muskies like something just under the surface..."waking" the water...more than a noisy topwater. And, the times they are active enough to hit topwater are much fewer than when they ambush baits at middepth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My guess is that anything you try to add...inside or outside...will either mess up the action or weaken the plastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know if you come up with something.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
How about a lip similar in appearance to a jitterbug but facing up,the large hooks would hold the lure in position and the lip would help keep the lure on or near the surface during retrieve.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Might work. There are several hardbaits on the market that use specially shaped lips or faces to direct the lures toward the top. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Create a design and post some pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can visualize what I propose however I do not have the skills of a graphic artist,I draw lousy stick men.
[signature]