Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wiper
Hello all,

Finally got around to register with the forum. Hopefully I can give as much as I receive (highly doubt it). Any ways, hit willard friday night. Fished right around the light pole, landed 2 fish. A 2 1/2 to 3 pound wiper and a gizzard shad appx the same sizes. I've never known gizzards shads to be that big. Anybody know how big these fish can get? It actually fought pretty good. I thought I had another wiper. But oh well, 2 actions is better than 1.
[signature]
Welcome to the site fishforfun!! [cool], sorry I don't know smack about shad[unsure],I didn't even know they got that big.Good luck at Willard!!-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
Welcome fishforfun. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about fishing, thats why I joined this site. These guys can answer your question I am sure.
[signature]
Nice to have you here fishforfun. I've seen them shad when they are spawning, and it seems the bigger ones are almost all 14 inches or so. I was shocked to see how big they get, but I guess then means there can be some around to spawn. If they only grew to 6 or 8 inches, they'd be baitfish all the time. Good luck nect time you head out.
[signature]
good to have you here fishforfun . . good name!

sm
[signature]
hey i have caught some gizzard shad up to 18" long while fishing for smallmouths along the rocks in the spring when the water temps. are coming up. it's good to her that you caught some wipers. sure makes me jealous. good to have you on the website good luck fishin trfishin
[signature]
Isnagged a 17 incher last year. took me about a hour to figure out what the heck it was. because "I KNEW" there was no way it was a gizzard shad. haha after debating it that was the only thing to fit the bill. talked to some people they said the same thing they had seen a few in the 14 15 in range. not many i guess but a few in there at maximum size.
[signature]
The problem with the gizard shad is that lots of catfish fishermen catch them on thier bait rigs, think they are trash fish and throw them up on the bank. I dont think a lot of anglers realize the importance of the role the shad play in the fishery. I remember walking out along the dike in the early morning and seeing the shad tossed up on the dike from the night before by guys fishing the night bite for cats. I am sure the birds and rockchucks liked it, but it wasnt good for the wipers and walleye.
[signature]
Welcome I think you will find that real time fishing reports really help and you will then need to change your name to catchingforfun.
[signature]