Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why so many smallmouths in Lake Mead
During a recent trip on Lake Mead, all we caught were smallmouth bass. Believe me, they put up a better fight than the largemouth, but I would like to know where all the largemouth have gone in this lake. I would appreciate any views from all of you out there in Bass land.

Hummingbird
[signature]
That is definately a nice smallie! I fished a tournament there a few years ago and the lmb's that I did catch were dinks but they do have some bigguns in there. As far as where they are I have no idea. Someone on the Nevada board may be able to help you out.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, John. What you told me to use on Sand Hollow worked. The only problem was we were about two or three weeks early. I guess the bite really picked up after we left the area. I'm going back out tomorro on Mead for more fun. I'll let you know how we do.....................Hummingbird

Oh by the way, if you check out my profile, you should be able to see some other pictures of our recent trip in Utah and Nevada.
[signature]
Hello,

I have been told that the small mouths have increased due to the low water levels. The large mouth population has gone down due to the STRIPERS. The eat every thing in there path. The young have no time to grow. There also use to be a good amount of crappie and blue gill but not anymore. So go save some shad and large mouth bass fry. Catch some stripers they taste real GOOD!!!

Stripercraze
[signature]
I don't know if they were stocked by the Nevada Fisheries folks, but they could have moved downstream from Powell via the Colorado River and from Quail Creek and Sand Hollow via the Virgin river. They are very well adapted to the rocky structure of Mead and Powell, preferring it to the woody vegetation that LMB prefer. During this period of low water, the vegetation will over grow the exposed shoreline of Mead. When the water comes back up, voila. Currently on Lake Powell, we are having a resurgence of LMB and Crappie due to the flooded habitat that grew during the low water. So there is a silver lining in the low water level. Enjoy the SMB and look forward to the resurgence of the LMB and Crappie when the water comes back up.
Hey stripercraze, I agree with you. The largemouth bass in Mead spawns. The water level drops exposing the fry. The spawn die. This has been going on for the last 8 years. If the water level ever rises, there will be plenty of cover for the Bass to make a recovery.
[signature]
Therapist, I know that the smallmouth started their migration into Lake Mead about 1999. The population rose consistently there-after. They love the rocks and drop-offs. The day after my post about the smallies in Mead, we went out of Callville Bay instead of Echo Bay and caught 12 largemouth. Sort of brought my confidence back on the LMB. There is a lot of vegetation growing as the water level drops and like you said, it will be paradise if levels ever return to normal.
I've attatched a picture.
[signature]
Most Excellant !!!!
Good to see that they are still holding on. The FLW tourney that was down there comprised of mostly smallmouth. Nice pics, they look like healthy fish just need some more water.
[signature]