Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Mini Floatilla 6/20/08
[cool] [font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I met up with LloydE at the north marina this morning. We had agreed to meet about 7 AM, but when we got there a half hour early, Lloyd was already there, waiting for us. I guess us old fishermen still get excited about going fishing.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff][/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Were launched just after 7. Air temp 62 and water temp 71. That’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout. There were several empty boat trailers in the lot before we got there, and several boats of different sizes launched about the same time we did. [/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Our little “mini floatilla” headed north, toward the NE corner. We were all dragging a minnow on one rod while throwing cranks or plastics on our second rods. TubeBabe had the first bite, on a minnow, but did not hook up. Lloyd had a “mega hit” but he failed to stick the fish either. So, I gave up on waiting for the amateurs and bagged two quick kitties about 8 AM. Then, I went back to being serious about non cat species. Didn’t do me any good. One whack on a diving crankbait. That was it all day.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]As the sun warmed the nice calm water to about 73, the kitties came out to play for all of us. We were scattered over a wide area and we were all getting bites. Most action was in about 10 feet of water. I had several cats in the basket and a couple released when Lloyd announced over the walkie talkie that he had just landed a WALLEYE. Knowing Lloyd’s fondness/passion for wallies I was happy for him…until he announced that the fish had turned out to be a catfish…but fun. After that, every fish he caught was a whiskered walleye.[/#0000ff][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Both Lloyd and TubeBabe got a nice basket full…only one fish under the 8 cat limit. Lots of good eatin’. I kept a limit of eight and returned several to grow a bit. I got one by fishing a minnow under a bobber, hoping for a wiper. But, no wallies and no wipers for any of us today. Saw three caught by a couple of guys back at the cleaning station. Said they fished off the farm and that small lures were the key.[/#0000ff][/font]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"]The water had been glass all morning. About 10 or so, the regular westerly breezes started coming up just a little. Not enough to make it tough to kick. But, by 11 there was also a noisy group of PWC folks that raised the sound levels beyond pleasant and kept us bouncing on their wakes. None of us had a bite once they hit the water. So, we left. Off the water before noon. Water temp 74 and rising. [/font][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"]A few mosquitoes buzzing around at launch, and several hatches of pesky midges through the morning. We had to decorate out heads with nets to keep from "overeating". Bug protein just don't get it.[/font][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"]The warming water has a nice algae bloom going. There were big patches of "carp soup" and some huge golden walleyes (carp) cruising around slurping up the green pea potion. Yuck.[/font][/#0000ff][#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/#0000ff]
Very nice! But where's all the Wipers? Isn't it about warm enough for them now? That's great you got out to Willard.

I just made it back from my 'Secret Haven' I told you about and did half-decent. The full moon didn't help any, but it was great to get out fishing anyways. I'll post it up this evening.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]... when Lloyd announced over the walkie talkie that he had just landed a WALLEYE. Knowing Lloyd’s fondness/passion for wallies I was happy for him…until he announced that the fish had turned out to be a catfish…[/#0000ff][/font]
[#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/#0000ff][/quote]

That is a good one -- Lloyd wants a walleye so badly that he tries to make a catfish be one.[Smile]
[signature]
great report and pictures TD as always.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We had to relisten to the story several times, over the walkie talkies, each time with a new justification for why Lloyd thought it was a walleye. However, he did admit that the kitty fought harder than walleyes normally do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of what my Mom used to say when I expressed a wish: "Wishing does not make it so." I half expected to hear and see Lloyd clicking his fins together and chanting..."There's no fish like walleye."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, he is a good sport and a fun fishing companion...as you well know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report and pictures, tell Llovd to shave off the whiskers next time...[sly]
[signature]
[#008000]It looks like we just barely missed you guys - I guess we should work on our aim. We hit the water a little bit before and left a little bit after you. Actually if we had known you would be there, we could have motor boated over there so as to help you impart that "just so" jigging action that I know you appreciate when heavy metal passes you at near warp speeds. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]It was also nice to have all that readily available airborn protein today - saves on having to bring snacks. I'm just glad midges and such don't have a really bad taste.[/#008000]
[signature]