Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican REPORT
Went to Pelican Lake last thursday and had a very fine day. Fished from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and had luck on cookie cutter largemouths with spinnerbaits, crayfish grubs and floating frogs in the thick matted reeds. Caught 2 slab bluegill on a 1/16 oz jigs with a 1" white mister twister curly tail grub. The gills are not in yet, very few around due to the string of cold fronts in the Basin. Won't be long. The water is dropping very fast and will probably be at c-pool by June. Tossed my mini jig against the reeds on the North shore and surprise, surprise, surprise. My line starts peeling off like I'm hooked to the bumper of an F-150. Of course, I'm using my four pound rig because I'm fishing bluegill. My Calcutta with the 12 pound Stren is laying at my feet. Well, I get freight trained for about twenty minutes and I'm thinking huge bucketmouth. Finally, after much stress and a little cursing, up pops a big old channel cat. I'm not sure on the weight, because I let her go. She gave up a good fight and earned her liberation. These are very rare in Pelican, I've only gotten one other in all my years fishing there. Very cool. Total for the day: 20 plus largemouth bass, 2 bluegill and one whiskerfish. All released because I'm too lazy to clean them, and I don't prefer the taste of yellow grubs. Life is very very good. Later folks (see pics below; BTW I was having a bad hair day LMAO).

Good Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l36910.jpg]

[Image: l36911.jpg]
[signature]
Nice pics!! Thanks for the update on Pelican!

ES
[signature]
Thanks for the great report.Thats one nice size kitty you got.[cool]Thats what I love about fishing you just never know what might be on your line.
[Wink]Tincanfish
[signature]
man that cat is ugly, but the fish is really sweet!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
You crack me up kayote. Always with the blocked out face. I think you are doug miller trying to conceal your identity here on the site. Dont want the folks over at channel 2 to know you are using this site.
[signature]
[Smile]hey kayote that sure is a nice catfish. I didn't know that there were any catfish in pelican lake also nice largemouth. i'm hoping to get down there soon before the bugs get so heavy that they pick up you and your boat and carry you off the lake.[laugh]
[signature]
Well Predator, you can tell I'm not Doug just by the lack of a huge beer gut. First off, I don't want my boss to see me on here bragging about playing hooky from work. I have kids to feed LMAO. Also, occasionally people get mad at you when you post a lot and I don't want some yo yo coming up to me at Strawberry and giving me an earful. Glad to share info though. Come out fishing with me in the Basin some time, and I swear I'll wear my real head.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey Kayote, Were is pelican lake and how do you get there from ogden. I've always wanted to get down and fish it. I take it you can put a full sized bass boat on it huh? Dock or marina and the such ?
[signature]
Scooter,

No boat dock or marina. There is a nice new ramp however and you can launch the biggest bass boat you can come up with. Pelican is very rural and there are no facilities except an outhouse and a couple picnic tables. You can camp anywhere you want. In the summer, bring shelter or the skeeters will pack you off. To get there from Ogden, head down I15 to 80 East or the other way up Weber Canyon. Go South/East at I 40, travel about 2 hours and go through Roosevelt and then past the little town of Gusher. About 15 min past Roosevelt turn south on State Road 88 and go about 10 miles till you can see the lake when you are at the top of the hill (can't miss it, it's big). At the bottom of the hill, turn right on the road to Randlett. Go about two miles and you'll see the sign for Pelican. Make a left there and travel about 4 miles all the way around the south side of the lake on the dirt road. The road will dead end at the ramp and restrooms. I'll bet the gills should be going by next weekend (17/18). Good luck. You may see Xman, Tincanfsh and I out there.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
What do you mean by the lake draining down to the "C-pool"?
[signature]
C-Pool refers to the conservation pool. It's the level where the DWR owns the water, and it can't be drawn down any lower than that for irrigation. It's water the state buys to have a minimum amount in the reservoir to protect the fisheries. Many of our Utah waters have a c-pool. The DWR spends a lot of money on them. You license dollars at work.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
is that good at pelican, i have heared good things about it but have never been up there yet. Man that is a nice cat, would i love to hooke one that size or what.
[signature]
Fishboy2,

Pelican is outrageously good. Everyone should fish it at least once in their life. Just once, understand!!!! LMAO Lots of big bluegill and medium largemouths. I wouldn't count on catching a big channel cat there, there are very few. They don't reproduce in Pelican for some reason. I think the backyard bios stock them on their way back from the Green River at Ouray. There are a lot of huge black bullhead however. They run 1 to 2 pounds and are easy to catch. If I want big cats, I go to Utah Lake like everyone else. There are big cats in the Bear River also. I did farm a huge channel cat on the lower Green a couple years ago that spooled me on 14 pound test, going upstream. Only got a look at her tail, and she was a monster. Oh well.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
hmmm, mabye when i heal i will have to get up to pelican, I too have had some monster cats on the green, I was at green river state park fishing of the dock w/ my bro.-in-law and i hooked up to a huge one, it was at leat 25 in. i got it in and had to jump in the water to help get it up on the dock, well we got it up and my bro.inlaw went to pull the hook out and whomp its head with a wacker and it bounced of and broke my line? it was Sad but fun.
[signature]
[Smile]hey scooter i have been there a few times and when i was there the deepest water that i remember seeing was only about 15 feet deep and i would be careful with a big bass boat there. the reeds are usually pretty thick there to so watch your outboard water pump. good luck fishin trfishin
[signature]