Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice from the boat owners
My neighbor wants to trade his 150 hp johnson for my 115hp evinrude.His boat is a 20ft riveted aluminum and mine is a 16ft fiberglass.Would 150hp be to much power for the size of my boat? Is johnson a dependable brand? I know my engine is dependable so i know i can trust it starting right up .The johnson fired right up so it starts.The guy wants a smaller engine that wont tear up his boat.If i decide not to trade would anyone be willing to trade a smaller engine for a 150hp?
[signature]
johnson's are great motor's but in your case i would stick with what you got. you know your motor and its care. hate to see ya get stuck with a lemon.
[signature]
I would keep the 115. Here are a few things to consider.

1. Is your boat rated for a 150?
2. The transoms on older glass boats were generally not reinforced very well and it might weigh too much.
3. How much extra gas are you willing to burn for a few extra mph?
4. You would need to re-prop the 150 to work with your boat.
5. Most likely the cables, oil reservoir and electrical will not match up and would need to be switched as well. Shift and throttle cables tend to imprint in the position they have been used in. After moving they most likely will seize up shortly and need replacement too.
6. The gauges on the dash could cause a problem also.

These are some of the issues you most likely will have to address if you swap motors.
[signature]
if you put a larger motar on that boat than wat it is rated for your insurance wont cover it i was going to put a 200 on my tropy and was told by peterson thats a nono its only rated for a 150.
[signature]
My 16' fiberglass witch measures out to over 17' has a 115hp on it there is a tag on my boat stating 125hp is the maximum size motor.
[signature]
Just a thought. Johnson & Evinrude engines are identical with the exception of the nameplates. Both are manufactured by OMC.
[signature]
Thanks for the input i am gonna keep my engine i trust it with my life and anyone elses. I have been lucky with the last 2 boats i have had great engines.I can troll slow enough with mine so i am going to keep it thanks.
[signature]
Both are made by OMC, this is true, however I fined that there are more shop's that deal with evinrude for some reason, I would stay with the evinrude DEPENDABLE , I just put a new (new to me, 1975) rebuilt 65 hp, on my 14 1/2 footer, almost to much power, also like mentioned your insurence will go up. I would stay with the 115 hp, also like mentioned I had to rebult the transom, the motor was heavy. some things to consider, If it was me, I would stay with the Evenrude, Good dependable motors. I have seen many old boys still fire up after many years. I also have a harded time trolling with the new 65 hp, compaired to the old 35hp, I do not regreat the change but it was alot of $, and work, Just my opinion, hope this helps.
[signature]
I have been checked in the past to see if my boat was rated for the specific horsepower rating during a boat insp, and was told there is a fine if you get caught with a higher HP motor than is specified on your boat lable. My boat is a 2000 with a 225 HP Evinrude and I have never had any problem with it. I have it serviced every year by the dealer I bought it from, now that I say that it will probably take a dump on me next time I take it out. My last new boat was a Tracker and it came with a 90 HP Johnson and I had nothing but problems with it, 2 power heads replaced, oil pump, trim and tilt etc.etc. Once the warranty was gone I sold it and bought a new Mercury 125 HP and never had any more problems. I actually saw my old boat (Had it for 12 years) at Willard a few weeks ago and the guy that owned it said it still runs like a top.
[signature]