Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 6-21,22
I fished in a tournament this weekend, bass were on beds everywhere and defending their beds. Came across a couple fish that I couldn't get to bite but most of them would pick my jig up as soon as it was on the bed or near it. If I missed the hook up they would always bite again.
Friday, pre-fish. Found bass on beds like crazy near Swim Beach and most shallow areas, 8'-2' of water, with gravel. Saw some bigguns bet left them alone. Fished with jerkbaits, senkos, and grubs. Went up North of the pipeline into Anvil but couldn't find anything in the slate rock and I don't know the area very well.
Day one, Saturday. I drew the same non-boater as I did at the last tourney so it was fun fishing with him as we got to know each other. Fished on the Utah side in a cove in Linwood Bay most of the day, water was semi stained and 59 in the morning but warmed up 66. Caught a bunch on a splishot straight tail worm and hula grubs, then went to Antelope Flats to fish beds where I caught my big fish of 2-11 off a bed. My partner caught one 2-15 which took big fish for tourney. At weigh in I had five fish at 9lb 13oz. which put me in first by 5oz.
Day two, Sunday. Fished with a non-boater who wanted to fish the Utah side. I did good the day before so why not even though everyone else headed to WY. Caught my limit within a couple hours but not much weight to them. Bass were on beds in Red Cliff and caught alot but no weight. Went to Sheep Creek and culled a couple but then the w.... started blowing. Fished some beds at the cut and picked up a couple then headed back for weigh-in. Two of my non-boaters fish managed to go over the top of my livewell divider...crap! What do I do now?[mad]
I told him we should split the weight. He knew the big one was mine but I told him to take two of his choice. He weighed 5lb 3oz I weighed 5lb 13 oz. so I ended up in fourth place. One pound kept me from second. Top weight was a nice 18lb ?oz. Very nice!!!
[signature]
Cool write up. I'd like to get involved with something like that in my area some day.
[signature]
Dude! Everyone knows you musta taken your non-boaters fish out of his side of the well and put em in yours. Trying to weigh 8 Fish......What a shame!
Eight fish would have been a little suspicious[Smile], besides my fish were bigger. Oh well, **** happens. Still had a good time, it was nice fishing with someone my own age instead of an old salty dog!
[signature]
[left]Lol but I did hear that non boater caught a monster of a carp...............ha ha ha. Told you I'd get on here.
[signature]
And a beauty of a carp it was, such a perty mouth LOL. Welcome to the site Joe.
[signature]
I always clip a small snip right from the end of the dorsal fin. Doesn't hurt the fish and I know its mine!
[signature]
You Lucky Dog. I'm jealous!!! The Gorge is always a great place to go, even when they're not hitting.

Congratulations on the success and Keep Fishin',
[signature]
Thanks bud, and I will keep on fishin! I think I'm going to go pick up a scale/fish tag combo so I can keep track of weights and fish.
[signature]