Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing in San Diego???
My family is planning a Christmas trip to the San Diego area. It will be a chance for kids to see Disney Land and other sites in the area. I however am not that interested in riding "Its a small world after all". [:p]

Being from the Rocky Mountains I have never fished in the deep blue sea, but would like to take my rod and reel and get into a little fishing if possible. I am unaware if there is any good offshore fishing during that time of year, if there is I would love to get some info from anyone who knows, but I am also hoping to do a little casting from shore, the pier or whatever else will work.

I would greatly appreciate any info that can help me maybe get into some different fish while on my "Christmas vacation".

Thanks
Welcome to the BFT..

You say you will be bringing your rod and reel with you for the vacation.. what type of rig is it (fly, spinning etc)

Here is a link to a site that may get you started on finding out what you need.. I will keep checking and see if I can come up with anything else..

[url "http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/464/"]http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/464/[/url]

I now several of our members saltwater fish the area and when they come on I am sure they can give you more information

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the website and info. I have a bunch of different spinning setups, some of the bigger rod and reels is what I was hoping to bring for any pier fishing that may be available.

Thanks again and any further info that can be found would be much appreciated.
[signature]
your welcome.. if I come across anything else Ill be sure to post it for you.. still hoping that bendo or tn2 come on since I know both of them have a lot of experience in saltwater fishing in socal area...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
register with this forum and yee shall receive the info that you seek:

[font "Garamond"][#ff0000][size 4]Sorry Dooolan but links to other fishing forums are prohibited. I'm sure that you can understand our reasoning for this policy.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I am lost I guess...

I am fairly new to BFT and have really enjoyed it so far. I am mostly on the Utah forum being thats where I fish and thought that I could jump on this California forum to chat with some fisherman about some ways to get my line wet while on vacation. I don't know what you are asking to register for the forum, but any info anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

I am unsure whether I am posting in the correct area as well. The Utah forum is most all under the General fishing section and is posted on numerous times a day so info is really easy to come by. If anyone has suggestions on anything else I can do to find some good fishing info please post or PM me, thanks.

Of course I have plenty of time, but look forward to learning as much as I can before hand.

Thanks again!
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Fisherman20 - kindly disregard poster dooolan's message. He posted a link to a site that contained another fishing forum. That was a NO,NO. I have since removed that link. You would have had to register on that site to proceed. You are a member of the BFT and can roam the boards/forums here as you like. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[right][fishin]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]True December is a long way off but it is nice to dream in advance. What kind of salt fishing do you have in mind - surf, coastal or deep sea? The link that MacFly posted covers all of these scenarios. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Sweet, thanks Dryrod!

I will be sure to check out he link and its information. I am looking to do any of the above as far as deep, coastal and whatever else may be around the area.

Look forward to chatting with more of you and gearing my vacation up a little bit.

Thanks
[signature]
I will try to get more info to you as time goes on.. I do know of a few places along the coast line but those are up in North San Diego.. plus I can check with a local contact and see if they have any info.. may take a bit but will see what I can do..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Welcome aboard FisherMan20 and sorry for the late reply.

There is a quite a bit of good shore fishing as well as Pier fishing in San Diego as well as the rest of the coast of Southern California.

I spent a few good years in UT and know what the fishing used to be like. My Mom and Dad are still out there and still have lots of fun.

There are a couple of Piers in the area and the good thing about fishing from the Piers is that you won't need a fishing license. Shore fishing will require a license as well as fishing from Jetties or on the Charter boats.

If you will be going to Disneyland, then you won't be too far from some other good ocean fishing off of the beaches in Los Angeles and Orange County areas.

What type and size of gear do you have??? If you plan on fishing in December, you may as well plan on some nice Rock fishing.

A 20 to 30lb setup with up to 400ft of line would be best around that time. That would allow you to fish for Rockfish, Barracuda, Yellowtail and just about anything else that is lurking about.

Come on back if you have any more questions. I will be glad to help you out.[cool]
[signature]
[Image: bobmad.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]The good news is that the weather is generally favorable to the fisherman. The bad news is that you will have to get a fishing license. Attach link for your reference.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html"]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the info.

I had planned on getting a license, haven't looked yet, but I am hoping that California has a week long non-resident license or something similar that will allow me to give it a try for a couple days.

Thanks again and I look forward to more info and communication.
[signature]
Hello Gentleman,

I am replying to a couple of the posts you all have entered for me. As for my gear, I have a number of different set ups, but the main rod and reel that I am looking to bring is a heavy weight ugly stik and a good sized abu garcia reel that i usually have 20 or 30 pound powerpro braid on. From what you had mentioned this should be okay for the various fish that I could target.

I am still very interested in learning what specific areas that would be could places to fish and what type of tackle I am going to be needing to fish those areas. Is the tackle mostly things that I can get from some local shops there near San Deigo and if so what ones would you recommend?

I am just excited to get into some of the fishing in the area and look forward to more and more info that all you you guys can impart. Thanks again!
[signature]
As far as licensing goes, you can get a 1 day non resident license for 12.60, a 2 day N/R for 19.45 or a 10 day N/R license for 38.85. The N/R license is good for fresh and saltwater.

There are a ton of tackle shops to choose from.

If you plan on getting on a boat, I would recommend renting a rod suitable for anything bigger than what you are planning with your Abu set up.[cool]
[signature]
There is a good website for San Diego fishing it is Sportfishingreport.com it has all the landings in San Diego along with the latest fish count, and contact information. Good Luck and tight Lines
[signature]
Welcome to Bigfishtackle and thanks for the info.

Please feel free to post any Cali fishing reports that you may have here. I don't get down that way much so it would be good to know how the bite is in your area.[cool]
[signature]